Friday, November 18, 2005

Submit to the Dynasty

Went to our favorite Chinese restaurant tonight, Ming Dynasty. They had new T-shirts that said "Submit to the Dynasty" on the back. Might have to get one...

Anyway, Darlene was driving by Ming Dynasty a few days ago and commented that we hadn't been there in a while. There have been a few new veg-friendly restaurant offerings in our humble little town lately (which I'm sure we'll address in due time), but Ming is still one of our favorites. It was actually the first place I ate in Charlottesville when I came here for my job interview.

When I first became vegetarian about 10 years ago I did so somewhat gradually. I had finally gotten to the point where I was eating almost no meat, but I was on a work trip in eastern North Carolina and eating dinner at a Chinese buffet with maybe 2 veggie options. They also had Sesame Chicken on the buffet and I just had to have some - I love Chinese food and I really loved sesame chicken. Well, that was the last time I ate meat, but after that I was on a quest to find a good veggie alternative. Enter Ming Dynasty. Not only do they have Sesame Vegetarian Chicken (made with soy), but an entire menu full of Chinese favorites made with veggies and/or soy & wheat based meat alternatives. Darlene had the Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Meatballs and we shared. These "meatballs" are made with soy and veggies and quickly deep-fried so they're crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. To die for. They were actually named by one of our alternative weeklies as one of the best tastes in Charlottesville. Oh, and another thing we like about Ming is that you can get brown rice instead of white. Much better for you. And more tasty I think.

No comments: