Monday, December 05, 2005

Chickpea Salad Sandwiches

Here's another idea from Vegan with a Vengeance. We really didn't create this blog just to plug this book, but it's our newest and most favorite cookbook at the moment (and may remain so for a good long while).

We don't have much in the way of fresh veggies in our fridge at the moment and we were hungry and wanted something quick so we made something like the Hijiki-Chickpea Salad from the book. I looked for hijiki the last time I made this recipe and couldn't find it, but I did find arame which is another sea vegetable. You can tweak the proportions to your liking, but basically I reconstituted a few tablespoons of the arame in hot water and while that was soaking, I drained and rinsed a can of chick peas then smashed them in a bowl with some vegenaise, whole grain mustard, and apple cider vinegar, then mixed in some shredded carrot, finely diced onion, diced celery, diced sweet pickle and salt & pepper. Then I drained and chopped the sea vegetable, mixed that in and made sandwiches with it on some whole grain toast.

1 comment:

Isil S. said...

This seems yummy.I will try this. Thanks for sharing!