Monday, January 30, 2006

Coconut Rice Pudding

Yesterday I was thinking about making rice pudding, then I realized we had some coconut milk left from when we made the peanut sauce. I also found a can of pineapple in the cabinet so I decided to do something a little different with my rice pudding. First I'll give you the original recipe. I think this was one of the first things I learned how to cook - in high school or maybe first year in college. I also think I found the recipe on a box of rice. I've since veganized it and tweaked it a little.

2 c. cooked rice
2 c. soy milk
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 of a 6 oz. package of silken tofu
2/3 c. raisins
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbs. vegan margarine

In a medium saucepan, combine rice, 1 1/2 cups of the soy milk, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until it starts to get a little thicker, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, blend the silken tofu and the other 1/2 cup of soy milk in a blender until smooth and creamy. Add this mixture to the pan along with the raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla and cook for about 2 minutes longer. Turn off heat and add margarine, stirring until the margarine is melted.

For the coconut variation, replace 1 cup of the soy milk with coconut milk, and omit the raisins and add a can of pineapple chunks (drained). (Crushed pineapple would also be good.) I also replaced the vanilla with coconut extract but if you don't have coconut extract, don't worry about it.

3 comments:

SusanV said...

This sounds delicious, Chris! What type of rice did you use? I was wondering if brown rice would work.

Chris said...

Thanks!

I used white basmati rice. I've often thought about using brown rice but I've never gotten around to trying it.

Anonymous said...

mmmm....i just made this using black rice....it hasn't yet cooled yet but it already tastes awesome....i did the coconut variation for a x-mas party happening tomorrow.....thanks for the post....
:)