Thursday, February 09, 2006

Jambalaya

I used to make something similar to this back in my pre-veg. days and I've occasionally worked on veganizing it since then. I'd hoped to have a good recipe to share, but it didn't quite work out as planned. More on that in a bit. It started with cooking onion, celery, red bell pepper, garlic, and seitan (I used a package of WhiteWave chicken-style seitan tonight). Add some herbage (basil, thyme, paprika, bay leaves), deglaze with a splash of white wine, add brown rice, vegetable stock, diced tomatoes and hot sauce and cook until the rice is tender. That's where the problem came in. Brown rice takes a long time to cook, but I had the heat too low and after 40 minutes the rice was still pretty crunchy. So I added a little water, turned up the heat a little and kept it cooking. I'm not sure how long it eventually took, but it was a lot longer than I hoped. Eventually the rice was done and it tasted great, but the recipe still needs a little work. I've seen jambalaya recipes that use already cooked rice so maybe I'll try that next time - at least if I want to use brown rice. Anyway, when it was finally ready, I served it with some steamed cauliflower.

4 comments:

Isil S. said...

That looks tasty. I like combining rice with veggies like this, or with edible wild plants.

Chris said...

Ultimately it came out really good and I'm sure I'll have a more detailed recipe to share at some point.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Steamed cauliflower sounds like the perfect accompaninment.

Chris said...

I do like me some cauliflower...