Saturday, March 04, 2006

An Experiment

One with only marginal success. Perhaps it was because of the disparate sources of inspiration. You see, the other night when I made the chickpea-hijiki salad from Vegan with a Vengeance, I was watching Emeril right after that and he was making fried shrimp patties. So the proverbial light bulb above my head came on and tonight I tried out my idea of mixing chickpeas and some hijiki with bread crumbs and other seasonings and frying that up in little patties. I made a tartar sauce from Vegenaise, pickles, onion powder, paprika and lemon juice to go with the patties, plus some kale on the side. Sounds and looks interesting, and it really didn't taste too bad, but it's probably not something I'll make again so I won't bother with the recipe.

3 comments:

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I know what you mean, but at least you were in the spirit of creative cooking~

Dreena said...

Well, they do look good! Funny, I have that happen so much too. Just doing something else and that 'light bulb' goes off and you feel so excited to go try your new creation... sometimes works beautifully, then other times you have to work it out over and over to get it right. Well, that's what cooking is all about, right?!

Chris said...

Yeah, I'm trying to get more creative and not just follow recipes all the time, but sometimes that means things don't quite work out like you thought. It's still fun trying...