Saturday, March 25, 2006

Spring Rolls

The first time I posted about these there was a recipe. What I did tonight was pretty similar but with tofu instead of seitan. I diced half a block of tofu, fried it in a little oil until golden, then added 1 tsp. dark sesame oil and 1 Tbs. soy sauce and cooked another minute or so. I set that aside, then cooked up the following:

1 medium head green cabbage, shredded (about 5-6 cups)
1 small onion, diced
1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
5 shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
1 tsp. grated ginger
1 clove garlic, minced

Then I added the tofu back to the pan at the end. Darlene then took over and wrapped 'em, and I fried 'em in a skillet in about 1/4" of canola oil for a few minutes on each side.

We often make a dipping sauce with an apricot jam base, but once again I have to thank the Fatfree Vegan Kitchen for a little bit different (and delicious) dipping sauce.

And if you're not sure about the whole wrapping the spring roll thing, we took pictures this time. There are other ways to do this, but this is how Darlene does it.

Step 1: put the wrapper diagonally in front of you, add some filling in the middle and liberally brush the edges with water.

Step 2: fold in the sides.

Step 3: fold up the bottom.

Step 4: roll it up!

9 comments:

Ferocious Killer Kat said...

yummmm!!!! yummmmm!!! I so very need a utensil in which I can deep fry.. yummm!!!

Dreena said...

ohhh, I love spring rolls - don't make them too often, but I love them!! I have to ask you what wrappers you use, since I get this question a lot. I use a brand that is called "egg-roll wrappers", but they are vegan. However, people e-mail me quite a bit asking where to find egg-free egg-roll wrappers... what do you use? Are they hard for you to find/buy? Thanks!!

SusanV said...

Oh, yum! I'm one of those people who has trouble finding vegan eggroll wrappers, so these are making me drool with envy.

I'm so glad you liked the sauce, and thanks for the link!

EatPeacePlease said...

I cannot find (for the life of me) rice wrappers. I'm going to check the Lee Lee's Oriental Market for some.

Thank you for showing photos and instructions for the wrapping, I appreciate it.

Fiber said...

Oh yeah - these look awesome. I'll have to keep my eye out for rice wrappers.

Chris said...

Thanks everyone! Kunsjoi - we actually don't deep fry them, but fry them in a thin layer of oil in a 10" skillet.

Dreena (& others) - spring roll wrappers can be hard to find at most grocery stores but fortunately every town we've lived in has had an Asian market that has spring roll wrappers that are vegan - usually in the frozen section. The brand we get now is called Wei Chuan, but there are others - that's just what they carry at our Asian market.

Vegan_1 said...

Chris,

The spring rolls look great. Do your wrappers come frozen? Mine has @ 20 wrappers and I was wondering if you make that many when you do it. Do they reheat well?

Also, do you work with the wrappers like phyllo dough? That is, do you have to cover the ones you're not working with with a damp towel?

Thanks for sharing.

Chris said...

vegan1 - I forgot to mention that part. We do indeed cover the wrappers (and finished rolls) with a damp towel to keep them from drying out. And the ones we get do come frozen. I think there's 24 in a pack and we usually double-wrap them and make 12 spring rolls. They reheat well in a toaster oven, but not so well in a microwave.

Dori said...

This looks great. I'm shopping tommorrow at an asian store, I hope I can find some egg rolls. I love that you cooked these crispy without a bunch of oil! I've really been enjoying your blog for the past couple of weeks. Keep up the good work!