Friday, April 14, 2006

Sticks

We found ourselves out and about around dinner time today so we decided to stop for a quick bite at Sticks Kebob Shop, despite having mixed feelings about the place. Oh, their falafel is great and they positively have the best hummus in town; it's their grilled veggies that cause us a little concern. Admittedly, we've eaten there many times in the past and had the grilled veggies on a number of occasions, but at some point we came to the realization (confirmed by asking about it) that they're not very judicious about keeping the veggies separate from the meat on the grill. For many folks I suppose that's not an issue, but we'd really prefer not to eat vegetables that have been cooked on the same grill as meat.

So we'll just stick with the falafel. Which by the way, comes on a pita sandwich or as a platter with pita bread, basmati rice and a side of hummus, tabouleh, or one of several other salads - like the cucumber, tomato and red onion salad I had tonight.

4 comments:

rachel said...

I haven't lived in Charlottesville for three years, but I still miss Sticks. I wasn't vegetarian then, and I recall that there were many times when the meat came out and wasn't fully cooked. It's a great place, but could use some improvement.

EatPeacePlease said...

I am the same way with foods. If they aren't seperate, they're contaminated (to me). It makes me cringe and I do know what goes on in a lot of kitchens... good thing the falafel is good... that's what I'd get anyway.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I agree with Leslie on both points, and I can't turn down good falafel, and it's been a long time since I've had decent falafel (to my taste anyway).
I get creeped out thinking about eating non-organic veggies when out to begin with anyway..

Chris said...

rachel - you should come back for a visit if you get a chance. There's several newer restaurants here with decent veg options.

eatpeaceplease - I think I'm scared to know what goes on in a lot of kitchens where we eat out.

and jess - I do wish organic food were more readily available - and cheaper. Maybe one of these days. Right now it's hard enough finding something vegan when eating out.