Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Pasta with Fresh Broccoli

We're definitely not master gardeners, but we try. A couple of months ago we planted a little spring garden with broccoli, lettuce and a few other things. We have one broccoli plant that has a nice big head on it, but most of the rest had these little heads that are starting to bolt now so I picked a few of them for tonight's dinner. The camera batteries went out before I got a shot of dinner so you're left with this not-so-great garden shot. Dinner was a little onion and garlic sauteed with the broccoli in olive oil and seasoned with salt, pepper and a little fresh oregano. I added a few tablespoons of veggie broth and a handful of pine nuts, then mixed in some cooked pasta and a little more olive oil. We also had some of this past weekend's bread toasted with margarine. A fairly simple but quite good meal - though I have to say that the broccoli didn't quite have as much flavor as I was hoping for. Hopefully the tomatoes we just put in the garden recently will fare better - I suspect they will...

2 comments:

Florence said...

Thanks for sharing this. I recently became vegetarian myself, and am thoroughly enjoying how much healthier my body feels now that I've chosen to do away with all of the junk I used to eat. Did you grow the broccoli from seed? We have a kitchen garden with romaine lettuce and tomatoes, but I have never attempted broccoli. A new health magazine I recently discovered called Radius really does a good job of explaining the health benefits of eating wholesome food and I found it rather inspiring. Their web site is www.radthemag.com. Good luck with your garden!

Chris said...

Thanks for your comment Florence and for the tip on the magazine. I'm glad you're discovering the benefits of a veg. diet. We found our broccoli as already-started seedlings at a local garden center this spring.