Friday, June 16, 2006

Apple Uglies Go Vegan

First a confession. Even though I've called myself a vegan for probably 5+ years now, I have a major sweet tooth and I've been known to snarf a cookie or piece of cake or donut knowing that it's not vegan. It's only been within the last year that I've become more firm on eschewing such non-vegan sweet treats.

It's hard to break with tradition too. I started going to the North Carolina Outer Banks with my parents 20 years ago and I've always loved the Apple Uglies from the Orange Blossom Bakery in Buxton - so named because they don't look very pretty but they sure do taste good. They're also known as apple fritters and are basically a big fat donut with apples and cinnamon. Last weekend's trip to the Outer Banks was the first time I've been there without having at least one Apple Ugly. But we did buy the cookbook that the bakery sells and the Apple Ugly recipe was quite easy to veganize and not too hard to make - though it did require getting out the big container of canola oil and deep frying for the second day in a row (I know, we're getting dangerous). These tasted every bit as good as I remember from the Orange Blossom, but even better they're vegan!

Edit: Recipe is here.

8 comments:

Brooke said...

Be fair....share the recipe! Those look delectable! :-)

-brooke

Urban Vegan said...

they don't look ugly to me

funwithyourfood said...

I have a big problem with sweets too. They're just so darn tastey. haha but whatever I make usually tastes just as good and no guilt!

Teddy

those look GRREAATT. May I have one?? hehe

Chris said...

Thanks for the comments everyone! I think I need to tweak the recipe a little Brooke but next time I promise I'll post it.

VeganCyclist said...

please SHARE!

springsandwells said...

Holy YUM Chris!!
Apple Fritters have always been my FAVORITE donut... of course now I haven't had a donut in forever. Add me to the club anxiously awaiting the recipe. Yum yum yum.

Charlie Fields, RKC said...

I made these a few months ago. SO DELICIOUS!!

It took me hours to make, and I didn't start until after 9 PM, but it was well worth burning the midnight oil.

Apple Fritters have always been my favorite pastry, and I had missed them for years since going vegan. Thank you for bringing them back to my life!!

Hilda said...

I am looking forward to these! As a North Carolina native I can testify that these types of treats are ridiculously good. We are not vegan but my daughter has allergies to milk, eggs, soy, and nuts. I am using rice milk and yogurt instead of soy. Thanks so much for sharing.