Sunday, June 18, 2006

Apple Uglies Recipe

Several of you asked about it so here goes:

This is adapted from Meet Me at the Orange Blossom by Henry and Michal Schliff.

1 package dry yeast
1 c. soy milk, heated to 110 degrees
7 Tbs. sugar, divided
1/4 c. shortening, set out at room temperature for a while
1/4 c. plain soy yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla
3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon, divided
1 medium granny smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4" dice
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
oil for frying

Pour warm soy milk over yeast, mix well and let sit for several minutes. Meanwhile cream together shortening and 6 Tbs. sugar. Add milk/yeast mixture, yogurt and vanilla and mix well. Sift together flour, salt and nutmeg and add to the liquid ingredients. Stir everything together until a rough dough forms then turn out onto a counter and knead for 8-10 minutes. (If you have a stand mixer then by all means use it.) Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let sit until doubled in size. Meanwhile, mix together the diced apple, 1 Tbs. sugar, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and lemon juice. Then turn the dough out onto a counter and roll into a sheet about 1/4" thick. Spread the apples evenly over the dough and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon. Then cut into about 12 equal pieces and pick each piece up, fold it over and mix with your hands a little until the apples are at least somewhat incorporated. Form into an oblong shape, then place 2 inches apart on a baking pan, cover and let rise until doubled in size. Heat oil to 375° and carefully pick up one of the fritters with a spatula and slide it into the oil. Depending on the size of your pot, you can cook multiple fritters at once but don't crowd them. Fry for about 1 1/2 minutes on each side then remove with tongs and place on a rack to drain. Once they're cooled, drizzle with icing made from 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar and 2 1/2 Tbs. water. Now share some with your friends because otherwise you'll eat all of them yourself.

15 comments:

EatPeacePlease said...

Whoa, I missed so much. I didn't realize you were back from your trip, so when I clicked on your page today... well, what a suprise!!! All of your meals look great, I love the idea of the black bean burgers and that Curried Split Pea looks amazing. I'm glad your back and took the week off, because you sure did make some great looking/sounding/tasting stuff.

Anonymous said...

Can you use a replacement for shortening? I never use it and would rather use something i use more frequently. By the way, I really enjoying seeing what you make each night!

Brooke said...

Yay! Thanks Chris, for posting the recipe. I will try this soon!!

-Brooke

funwithyourfood said...

Thanks for posting the recipe. That was nice of you!
Who'd of thought? Vegan, a great cook, AND nice.
this is too good to be true

hehehe

Teddy

Chris said...

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

Anonymous - you could definitely use margarine - like Earth Balance if you can find it. But lacking that I think canola oil might work - just try using slightly less, maybe 3 1/2 Tbs.

Jane M said...

Wheeeee!!!!! Thanks for the recipe...sounds yummy. Maybe I can stick some raisens too?????

VeganCyclist said...

thank you!!!!!!

Vegan_1 said...

Those look so good. Did you use Earth Balance shortening or Earth Balance margarine? Thanks.

Chris said...

I used Earth Balance shortening but I think the margarine would work OK too.

And adding raisins sounds good too Jane.

cindy said...

Very cool. That sandwich looks delicious. I haven't tried tempeh bacon yet, but it sounds interesting.

Vegan_1 said...

One more question, do you need a deep fryer, or could you fry the apple uglies in a frying pan?

Chris said...

Deep frying works best but if you're not up for that you could try baking them. Spray or brush them with a little oil and bake at 350° until they're brown.

Anonymous said...

Well, I actually made these puppies. They were awesome!! I got 13 "doughnuts" from the recipe. I used 2 apples instead of one, which was good and even then they weren't all apple, still plenty of fried dough. Mmmm, healthy.
Thanks! Andrea

Charlie - hope & spray said...

THANK YOU!! I love these so much that in my pre-vegan days, the counterperson at the bakery by my house called me "Apple Fritter." I haven't had one in over three years!! It's my birthday tomorrow, and insteada cake, I'm making these babies!!

SavvyAmy said...

I have finally caved in to the hungry minions of my vegan food swap and am in the process of attempting this recipe for apple fritters. One thing has me stuck, though. Lacking a food thermometer to alert me to a soymilk temperature of 110 degrees, I tried the dab-on-the-wrist test (at which, unfortunately, I'm also unskilled). I thought I did okay when a sort of thick foamy skin developed on the soymilk-yeast mixture, but here I am, having let the mixed dough rise for half an hour now, and it doesn't seem to have doubled in size. How long should I wait? Did I kill my yeast? Are there any rescues?