Sunday, July 23, 2006

No Wonder Bread Pudding

I think this is the first recipe I ever came up with on my own. When I was in college I used to frequent a little take out place called Caribbean Spice (which I've mentioned before). The lunch special always came with a dessert, which was usually carrot cake. But sometimes it was bread pudding and for reasons I no longer remember, one day a friend of mine and I decided that this stuff was absolutely delicious and we had to try making our own. There wasn't any internet in those days (I know... I'm showing my age now) but we poked around a cookbook or two to get ideas and then set out in our respective kitchens. Many recipes for bread pudding call for a milk/egg mixture to be poured over cubes of stale bread and then baked. That's how we started out, but we couldn't get the texture to match what we'd get with our lunch special - which was more of a firm cake-like thing that you could eat out of your hand. We finally asked the owner of the restaurant what the secret was and he said he tore the bread into pieces and mixed it into the batter. So back to the kitchen we went and this recipe was born. At the time I was still using milk and eggs but the recipe was easily veganized with soy milk and silken tofu. I also used to use the cheapest white bread I could find but now I can't bring myself to buy cheap white bread, what with the lengthy list of ingredients I don't understand - and that's if you can even find some that's vegan. Now I make it with better bread, but it remains not exceptionally healthy because white bread is still a must.

I used to make this so often that I don't think I ever wrote down the recipe. Until now...

1 loaf of Italian bread or other soft white bread (see note below)
1/2 c. Silk creamer or soy milk
4 oz. silken tofu (about 1/2 c. or 1/3 of a 12 oz. package)
2 c. soy milk
1/2 c. + 1 Tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
3/4 c. raisins (I used golden raisins this time because that's all I had but I usually use your average everyday dark raisin; either one works.)

Mix creamer and tofu in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Pour into a large bowl and add soy milk, 1/2 c. sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well. Tear the whole loaf of bread into small pieces and mix it all into the wet ingredients as you go. You should end up with a stiff but wet batter. Fold in the raisins then spread the mixture in a greased 8" x 12" baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the remaining sugar and bake at 350° for 1 hour. After it cools, slice it into squares to serve.

Note: You may need to adjust the amount of soy milk depending on the size of your loaf of bread. For this recipe I used a 19 oz. loaf which was a pretty decent-sized round, but if your loaf is smaller use less soy milk and if it's larger use more. You want to have a fairly stiff batter but it should be wet.

12 comments:

KleoPatra said...

I haven't had bread pudding in years! Love to try this recipe... VEGAN BREAD PUDDING, who'd've thunk? Nice. Thanx for this!

Chris said...

You're welcome! It's an old standby that I haven't made in a while but I suddenly had a hankering for it...

SusanV said...

This sounds delicious! My husband loves bread pudding and has a birthday coming up. I think I may surprise him with this. Thanks for sharing it!

Chris said...

Thanks Susan. Let me know how it turns out.

karen said...

This looks so good! My mom used to come home with bread pudding when I was a kid.

Melody said...

I've never had bread pudding because I can't stand eggs, but this looks good... I will definitely make it sometime.. I'm thinking it would be a great brunch dish.. especially for non-vegans

Chris said...

thanks Karen... and Melody I've never served it for brunch but that's a good idea.

jony said...

I was doing my SBA at school when they ask us to make a bread pudding and i came on the internet and found yours,i think i will try it

All Adither said...

I think I would dig this without the raisins. I know, blasphemy.

Erin said...

I have some cake sitting on the counter that wasn't sweet enough for my roommate or friends to help with (no sugar at the moment, hehe, not very dessert friendly!). It's getting a bit less moist than I like, so I guess it's about time to whip up some bread pudding...the picture basically sold me immediately on yours-that looks so good! Thanks for the recipe!

Chelsea said...

I LOVE this! I attempted a whole wheat banana bread loaf yesterday with disastrous results, but I thought it would be perfect for bread pudding... and it was! I followed your recipe but cut down on the liquid and sugar and added two bananas to the tofu/soymilk mixture. I also omitted the raisins because my hubby isn't a huge fan. It is sooo good! Thank you for the recipe!

Chris said...

you're welcome chelsea & erin! glad you like the recipe!