Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Key Lime Pie

No, this wasn't for dinner but actually for dessert a couple of nights ago. My office closed a bit early today and everyone got together for a picnic. There isn't typically much vegan food at such gatherings, but there were two different large bowls of black bean salsa; a bunch of that with some chips plus the brownies that we brought and some watermelon was pretty much our dinner. So I thought I'd share the recipe for this pie that Darlene made. The pie filling is from Cooking with PETA. Neither of us is an expert in pie crusts, but we did the oat & walnut crust that we used for our Thanksgiving pumpkin cheesecake because it's easy to make and tastes great. For the filling, Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice is best if you can find it (acutally real key limes are best but those are harder to find).

Key Lime Pie Filling from Cooking with PETA:

1/4 c. key lime juice
2 1/2 c. soy milk
1 c. sugar
5 Tbs. cornstarch
2 tsp. lime zest

Whisk all the ingredients together in a saucepan, then turn on medium heat and slowly bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thick and creamy. Allow to cool slightly then pour into a 9 inch pie crust and chill until firm.

18 comments:

Vicki said...

I love key lime pie! thanks for sharing that recipe.

funwithyourfood said...

I'll have that for dinner.

Teddy

VeganCyclist said...

did your company peoples like it? That's the best, when they don't even know it's veg*n! :)

Looks yummy, and sounds like a great dinner!

Catherine said...

wow, that's the easiest sounding dessert ever! Sounds tasty, too.
Potlucks are tough -- I always try to take a 1-bowl meal that is vegan, so I'm sure I have plenty to eat myself. Tabouli (with chickpeas) is my mainstay, but I should really start exploring some other options. Potlucks run rampant in the Midwest!

Chris said...

Thanks everyone! We didn't bring the pie to the picnic, but we did bring brownies and everyone snapped them up and wolfed them down without a clue ;-)

Vegan_1 said...

Which brownie recipe did you use?

Cherie Anderson said...

I like the looks of that pie; the plate really brings out the light green color!

Urban Vegan said...

I have got to make this. I love LIME!

Darlene said...

Thanks Cherie & Urbanvegan...

vegan1 - I used the recipe in Very Vegetarian by Jannequin Bennett (minus the coffee).

hotchachie said...

I made this last weekend. It was SOOOOOO easy and DELICIOUS!! Also very inexpensive to make. I used regular limes because I didn't feel like driving to the store to get key limes, and it worked great. I don't have a zester so I used a vegetable peeler and then chopped up the thin peels...no problem. I found it FUN to watch the mixture turn from liquid to thick creamy pie before my very eyes! Took about 20 minutes to prep and then a few hours in the fridge. I think it would be awesome as key lime pudding, too, if you don't want to deal with a pie crust. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

hotchachie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bruce Layne said...

Thank you for the recipe! I kinda made up something very similar as a vegan lemon custard pie recently, while talking to a friend at 2:00 AM. I used too much starch, so I had to add more of everything else, so I had a pie and some lemon pudding left over, but it was OK. It made me want some Key Lime Pie.

This recipe is exactly what I was looking for - a vegan key lime pie that doesn't use a lot of proprietary packaged ingredients like vegan cream cheese.

Anonymous said...

just made this last night and ate two pieces for breakfast. i couldn't find key lime juice so just used regular lime, and it still came out delicious. thank you for a recipe that doesn't call for 2 tons of tofutti crap!

Anonymous said...

Pretty good recipe, but the second time I made it I cut the sugar down to 3/4 cup and doubled the key lime juice and it was much better.

maryiskickass said...

My boyfriend just became a vegan and I've been struggling to find ways to change my diet so he can eat what I eat!

This recipe (and site) is so helpful! Now I have dessert for the anniversary!

Diane said...

Hi! Do you think I can use agar powder in place of the cornstarch and is so how much?
Thank you

Chris said...

Yes, you can generally sub equal amounts of agar for cornstarch.

Rae said...

Made this yesterday, absolutely delicious! Thanks for a great recipe. :)