Thursday, August 31, 2006

Pizza Bowls

Or maybe they're calzones in a bowl. Or Italian pot pies. Regardless they were pretty tasty. We got the idea while watching some Food Network show a few months ago. There was a piece on a restaurant (maybe in Chicago?) that does something like this. Of course the restaurant version was a big cheesy meat-laden thing so I went my own vegan way with it. I started by making a basic pizza dough (using half whole wheat flour) and while that was doing its thing I made a sauce with olive oil, onions, garlic, dried basil, a can of artichoke bottoms (diced), some sliced kalamata olives, capers, a can of tomatoes, and some tomato paste. Then I cut up the last of the veggies from last weekend's market - yellow squash and green beans - and sauteed them in olive oil with some seitan and basil & oregano. I put the veggies in little ceramic bowls, topped with some sauce, then rolled out pieces of the dough to fit on top. I baked them at 425° for 15 minutes then once they cooled a little I ran a knife along the edge and turned them out onto a plate (the photo shows one still in a bowl and one turned onto a plate).

4 comments:

Mellie said...

That's really brilliant!

springsandwells said...

Oh Yeah!
Those look so fun and tasty. What a great idea... I'm impressed with your creative effort! Looks like it paid off pretty well, too.
:) Amey

Chris said...

Thanks Mellie & Amey. I can't take credit for the idea but I think the execution was pretty decent ;-)

Anonymous said...

The Pizza place in Chicago is called Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co. YUMMMY