Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Barbecued Tempeh

Here's another winner from Peter Berley's excellent book, The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen. I made the Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread recipe from this book over the weekend and while I was flipping through it I came across this tempeh recipe. We started with a big salad then had the tempeh on the whole wheat bread with shredded carrots, tomatoes and pickles. While the tempeh was baking I was going to make some coleslaw to have on the sandwiches and/or on the side but then I sat down for a minute and Violet curled up on my lap and next thing I knew the tempeh was done. It was pretty easy to make (this is halved): Slice one block of tempeh horizontally and across so you have 4 pieces (that are half as long and half as thick as what you started with). In a bowl, mix together the following:

1/4 c. cider vinegar
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. olive oil
2 Tbs. + 2 tsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. ground chipotle chile (I used regular chile powder and a little liquid smoke)
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. paprika

Put half the liquid in the bottom of a baking dish, add the tempeh in a single layer, then add the rest of the liquid. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350° for an hour, removing the foil for the last 10 minutes.

7 comments:

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

ooh, this sounds so good (looks good, too!) can't wait to try it.

as for the hemp powder. I think I love it most because I know how amazing it is for me and that always wins me over. It can be a bit much (powdery, original isn't the best flavored thing I've ever tried), but after having it a few times I didn't even notice it anymore.

My husband won't touch it, however and he will use whey (blech)! I'm dyin to try the chocolate chili. So I'm drinking the heck outta what I have. :)

Anonymous said...

I love BBQed anything. Yum.

Chris said...

Me too...

and thanks for the hemp powder review dgmgv. I think we'll give it a try.

funwithyourfood said...

I don't know how or why but every single time i've tried tempeh i have not liked it.
there must be something wrong with me

Chris said...

Well I'd say it has a unique flavor that's not necessarily for everyone Teddy. Good thing there's so many other flavors in the vegan world eh?

Anonymous said...

I have that cookbook, and that recipe looks so wonderful. You take awesome photos! Cherie

Chris said...

Thanks Cherie! That's encouraging considering I often feel like I really don't know what I'm doing...