Monday, September 04, 2006

Brown Rice Salad

A couple days ago I pulled off the shelf one of the first vegetarian cookbooks we bought, the Horn of the Moon Cookbook by Ginny Callan. We hadn't made this recipe before but it sounded good so I set about to make it today. It's pretty simple: cooked brown rice with a dressing of lemon juice and olive oil and seasoned with salt & pepper and fresh parsley. You could really put in any vegetables you want but I mostly went with the recipe this time which calls for scallions, red bell pepper, celery, peas and tomatoes. Then I added some steamed green beans that didn't get used last night. It was very refreshing (and tasty). With the salad we just had some whole wheat toast with the "brie" that I made yesterday.

6 comments:

Vegan_1 said...

Can you give proportions for the dressing or would you worry about posting a recipe from a cookbook? It looks like something that would be great to take to work for lunch.

Chris said...

No problem. It would be good for a lunchbox and I'd make it again. The dressing is 1/4 c. olive oil and the juice of 2 lemons. I think it was about 1/2 tsp. salt, then parsley & pepper to taste (the recipe called for 1/4 c. parsley but I'm not a huge parsley fan so I only used around 1 Tbs). I'm not sure of the amount of cooked rice but it was 1 cup dried.

primaryconsumer said...

It looks yummy! I have that cookbook, and I was looking at it the other day too. I haven't really made anything from it except the black forest cake (in my pre-vegan days). I'll have to take another look at it.

bazu said...

Hi Chris,
That salad looks great, very bright flavors and colors.
By the way, I completed my "5 foods" task- thanks for tagging me!

funwithyourfood said...

You made bre?

how??
teddy

Chris said...

thanks p.c. we still like to crack open the older cookbooks now and then.

your post is great bazu - and I learned something from reading it.

OK Teddy... real quick (from The Uncheese Cookbook):

Simmer 1 1/2 c. water and 3 T agar flakes for 5 mins., stirring frequently. Put into a food processor with 1/2 c. raw cashew pieces, 1/2 c. silken tofu, 1/4 c. nut. yeast, 1/4 c. lemon juice, 2 T tahini, 1 1/2 tsp onion granules, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp garlic granules. Process until smooth then pour into a round shallow mold, sprinkle with a little wheat germ and chill several hours.