Sunday, September 17, 2006

Chickpea-Hiziki Patties

This is something I tried once before with limited success but the idea stuck in my head like peanut butter sticks to the roof of your mouth and I had to give it another go. (So last time when I said I wouldn't do it again... I lied.) And I'm happy to report that this time was much better. The inspiration originally came from the Chickpea-Hiziki Salad in Vegan with a Vengeance and this time I also got some ideas from Dreena's Adzuki Bean and Rice Cakes.

Chickpea-Hiziki Patties with Tartar Sauce

1 Tbs. hiziki
1 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for frying
1 c. diced onion
1/2 c. each diced celery and red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 c. cooked brown rice
2 tsp. vegan worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. dijon mustard
juice of 1 lemon
3/4 tsp. salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
1 c. bread crumbs

Cover the hiziki with boiling water and set aside for 5-10 minutes. Heat oil in a wide skillet over medium to medium-high heat and add onions, celery and bell pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes then add garlic and cook another minute or so. Add this mixture to a food processor along with the drained hiziki and all the remaining ingredients except bread crumbs. Process until well combined then add bread crumbs and pulse until bread crumbs are mixed in. Refrigerate for at least half an hour. Now heat more olive oil in a large skillet (you can use the same one), form the chickpea mixture into patties and fry until brown on both sides. Serve with tartar sauce made from mixing 1/2 c. Vegenaise, 1/2 tsp. lemon juice, 2 Tbs. diced sweet pickle, 1 tsp. pimientos and 1/4 tsp. onion powder.

5 comments:

SciFiVegan said...

Chris - I've been lurking on your blog for awhile...I really like reading about all the different foods you guys make. I HAD to try the fried seitan. I made my own seitan last night and fried it up - WOW it was good! Thanks for the idea.
Brook

Chris said...

you're welcome. Thanks for reading.

primaryconsumer said...

Wow, those sound awesome! I loved your analogy about the peanut butter, lol.

eatpeaceplease said...

I like your version of the two recipes combined (or sort-of). Thanks for posting your recipe.

Chris said...

You're welcome ;-)

Turns out Darlene wasn't 100% crazy about them but I liked 'em so everyone will have to judge for themselves.