Monday, September 18, 2006

Greek Salad

I did a good bit of cooking this past weekend and I finally got around to trying a recipe for vegan "feta" from Bryanna Clark Grogan that I've been eyeing for a while. So tonight I made us big Greek salads with the feta on top and then we just had cashew butter and bananna sandwiches on some whole wheat sandwich bread that I also made this weekend. In the salads was a mixture of romaine and red leaf lettuce, yellow tomatoes, red bell pepper, carrots, cucumbers, kalamata olives and the feta. For the dressing I whisked together red wine vinegar, olive oil, chopped fresh basil and oregano and salt & pepper. The feta was not unlike several other mock cheese recipes that I've tried in that I didn't think it tasted much like the real thing, but still it was good in its own right.

4 comments:

primaryconsumer said...

That looks really pretty. I haven't had a salad in a long time and I sure could go for one.

Chris said...

We're trying to show that eating vegan isn't all about salads, but occasionally it is...

bazu said...

I might not be a very good spokesperson for veganism, because I could eat salads every single day! Yours looks great. I'm impressed that you guys cook, and not just that, but whole foods, and something different every day. You will both live to be 100.

Chris said...

Thanks Bazu. Let's hope ;-) My grandfather lived to be 94 so hopefully that counts for something...