Friday, September 08, 2006

Krispy Buffalo Salad

I made this big dinner salad last night in honor of my sister Kristen (aka Krispy). She happens to live in Buffalo and I got the idea after seeing her make a salad with mock buffalo wings on top and ranch dressing. The base of the salad is romaine lettuce, tomatoes, carrots and celery but the heart of it is the spicy topping. I used tvp for the mock buffalo wings. I added 2 cups of tvp to four cups of hot water to reconstitute. I then drained the nuggets and put them in a sesame marinade from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone for about 2 hours. I altered the marinade a little and here is what I used.

Marinade

2 tablespoons black sesame oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup of soy sauce
5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon asian chile sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar

I then fried the tvp nuggets in a couple of tablespoons of canola oil reserving the remaining marinade. After frying, I added 1 tablespoon of corn startch to the remaining marinade and added that to the nuggets. I mixed together 1 tablespoon of vegan margerine and 1/4 cup of Franks hot sauce in a bowl. I added the fried nuggets to the hot sauce mixture. I let the mixture cool a little and then piled it on top of the salads. The dressing was veganaise and a balsamic vinegarette with garlic and flax oil. Very yummy salad and a fun dinner for Friday night.

5 comments:

funwithyourfood said...

the other day I saw that someone had some buffalo wings at a veg resturant. thanks for the recipe!!

Teddy

toofondofbooks said...

I just discovered the wonderful world of vegan food blogging and have been really enjoying your blog. The salad looks delicious. There is a restaurant in Arlington,VA called Clare&Dons that has an amazing buffalo tofu sandwich, but it isn't vegan. I've been trying to figure out how to make something similar and this might work. Thanks for sharing!

SusanV said...

This looks wonderful!

kleo2 said...

What a nice bro! :)

Darlene said...

Thanks everyone!

I think we actually checked out the menu once at Clare & Dons but then we opted to go somewhere else.