Sunday, September 10, 2006

Lentil Skillet

When we were in Buffalo this spring, I vaguely remember a dish I had at a cool restaurant there that consisted of lentils with grilled onions and peppers. I don't remember much other than that but it was enough to inspire tonight's dinner:

3/4 c. brown lentils
1 1/2 c. vegetable broth
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 large onion, halved and sliced
1 large red or green bell pepper, halved and sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
salt & pepper to taste
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
1 green onion, sliced (optional)

Bring veg. broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add lentils, then cover and simmer until lentils are tender and all liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes. Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large cast iron skillet then add onions and peppers. Cook until everything is nice and brown then add garlic, parsley and spices and cook another minute or two. Deglaze the pan with the lemon juice then add cooked lentils and cherry tomatoes and cook another minute just until tomatoes are warm. Garnish with green onion.

To go with the lentils, I made some Basic Yeasted Flatbread from Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe. It came out pretty good and was fairly simple to make, but any flatbread would do; in fact this would probably fill a pita nicely. The whole meal wasn't overly spectacular but it was good enough that I might make it again one of these days.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the recipe!
johanna3
http://tropicalvegetarianfamily.blogspot.com/

kleo2 said...

Lovely lentil dish! So packed with nutrition and flavor. Thanks for sharing...

springsandwells said...

Hi Chris!
Hi from Bosnia i Herzegovina! Well, that may not have been a particularly spetacular meal... but I CAN'T tell you how good it looks to me after 6 days of eating figs, bread, clif bars, and an occassional red bell pepper. I am so hungry! Being a vegan in BiH really tests my meddle!
yours, Amey

Chris said...

thanks Johanna & Kleo!

Hi Amey! Hope you're having a great time despite the challenges finding something to eat. It's hard enough traveling around this country - I imagine some place like that would be quite difficult at times.

Anonymous said...

I have never seen lentils made in that way. Looks very tasty and unique! Cherie

Urban Vegan's Evil Twin said...

Lentils are my friend. Thanks for this skillet idea!

Chris said...

lentils should be everyone's friend...

Anonymous said...

I love your site, you guys have the best ideas for new recipies!