Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Milan

Last night was leftovers and we didn't cook tonight either but that's 'cuz it's my birthday and we went out for a nice Indian meal. Milan sounds like it could be an Italian restaurant but in fact it's Indian. I can't believe we haven't written about it yet because we've been there many times in the past but it's been quite a while since the last time I guess. It's fairly typical Inidan food but I don't mean that in a bad way; and the atmosphere is nice and the service is generally good. Our server tonight was a little iffy about what on the menu was vegan but I think we came to an understanding. The veg. section of their menu says "Vegan and Vegetarian" but unfortunately they don't specifically list which items are vegan. They do however list when there's cheese, cream, butter, etc. in a dish so we're reasonably confident that at least a small handful of their items are vegan. The only problem tonight was that I ordered my Vindaloo Vegetables medium spicy and it came so flaming hot I couldn't eat it all. Still, it was good and I'll polish the rest off tomorrow - I just need my heat in moderation.

At any rate that meant I had more room for dessert - an awesome cake Darlene made for me yesterday. She frosted it this morning and I had a huge piece for breakfast (but hey, it's my birthday already). She used the Peanut Butter Kandy Kake recipe from Sinfully Vegan by Lois Dieterly, but she filled it with strawberry preserves and frosted it with the Standard Chocolate Frosting. I've seen mixed reviews of this book among the vegan community but we really like it. And this particular cake came out delectable (the photo doesn't do it justice).

6 comments:

Mark said...

Happy Birthday, Chris!

Geraldine said...

Happy Birthday Chris and wishing you many, many more to come....

Huggs, Geraldine

PS I included an authentic veg East Indian dinner on my tag list.

Johanna3 said...

Feliz cumpleaƱos Chris!

Dreena said...

Hey, when it's your birthday, you can eat cake anytime of the day you want - and as much as you want!!! Have a great one, Chris!

Chris said...

thanks everyone!

primaryconsumer said...

Happy Birthday Chris! And Darlene, that cake looks fabulous!