Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Pot Pie

We have a copy of the Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook from a long time ago and while there's a good bit of dairy and eggs in there we still take it out from time to time and find some good vegan (or easily veganized) recipes. Tonight's pot pie was slightly altered from the recipe in the cookbook based on what vegetables we had in the fridge. And incidentally, this is a good way to use up whatever random vegetables you have on hand. The topping is a basic biscuit crust made with whole wheat pastry flour; and all kinds of goodness went into the filling. Goodness like onions, carrots, celery, red bell pepper, yellow squash, peas and marinated and fried TVP chunks. The gravy is made from more pastry flour and a mix of plain soy milk and vegetable stock and it's seasoned with soy sauce and fresh herbs, in this case thyme, sage and parsley.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohh chris that is soooo my kinda of comfort food! again.. you guys eat a lot like us.. funny huh?
nice pic looks great!

Vegan_1 said...

That looks so good. I too immediately though of comfort food. I'm anxious to try pot pie, but I'm intimidated by the crust.

Darlene said...

Thanks madeinalaska and vegan_1. To make the crust I used a pastry cutter to incorporate the fat and I think it helps a lot at least for me. I also put the dough in the fridge for about an half an hour before rolling it out. I try not to handle the dough too much. Typically, the less I mess with it, the better it comes out. Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

looks very good! someday i will be brave and try to make a american pot pie!

Chris said...

Thanks Johanna. You should definitely give it a try! It's great comfort food - for us anyway ;-)

KathyF said...

Hey, I think I have that cookbook too! I'm increasingly fond of comfort food. Wonder what that says, about me or about the world?