Saturday, September 30, 2006

Salad and a Sandwich

After all the food we ate at the Vegetarian Festival today we though't we'd do something a little light for dinner. I thought about doing a post on the festival but we were half way there when I realized I forgot the camera. So much for that idea. And now you're stuck with another post about a salad. We had half a package of tempeh left from our sushi adventure so I did a modified version of the Tempeh Bacon from Vegan with a Vengeance to go on our salads. I diced the tempeh and marinated it for about an hour in a mixture of 1 1/2 Tbs. Braggs, 1 Tbs. maple syrup, 1 Tbs. cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp. tomato paste, a crushed garlic clove and a dash of liquid smoke. Then I fried it in peanut oil until it was nice and brown and added the remaining marinade at the end. Underneath that was leaf lettuce, radishes, cucumber, shredded carrots, yellow tomatoes, and red bell pepper, and on top went some of the orange-poppy seed dressing we made recently from Vive le Vegan! After the salad we just had sandwiches with Tofurkey deli slices, lettuce, tomato and mustard on whole wheat bread.

As for the festival, I'm happy to report that the 80 or so cookies that we delivered there this morning sold out well before the end of the day. They sold for $1 apiece so hopefully that's at least a couple more feral cats that can be neutered or spayed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read about this festival and had pondered driving down--but it was too far.

So glad you had fun. Bless you for baking the cookies to benefit feral kitties.


PS ...Um, I think you've been spammed.

Anonymous said...

Whoa, dr. whoami...

Anyway, glad to hear about your success at the festival, I wish I could have been there to buy some of your cookies!

Chris said...

Thanks urban vegan & bazu. And the offending spam (definitely not vegan) has been removed.

Chris said...

And by the way urban vegan, I don't know if it'd be worth the drive just for the festival but if you were to make a weekend of it and stay at the White Pig B&B...