Saturday, October 28, 2006

Another Cupcake Picture

I know, I know, vegan cupcakes are everywhere now (as their long march to take over the world continues). This was last night's dessert, which we ended up eating before dinner. How can you go wrong with a banana cupcake with peanut buttercream frosting? It's "The Elvis" variation of the Banana Split Cupcakes and my mouth's watering just thinking about them now.

The rest of this is probably not of interest to anyone who's not local, but we had some errands to do last night so we went out to eat at our old standby, Ming Dynasty. Plus we wanted to check out the rumor we heard that it had changed ownership. Sure enough, the wonderful owner who's been a fixture there in the 5 years we've been going (and for many more years than that we've heard) was nowhere to be seen. But more telling was a new alcohol license in the window bearing a different name. The extensive vegetarian menu's still the same and our waiter was familiar but the food was lacking a little something. It's never been gourmet food to begin with and what we had last night was good but we've had the same dishes in the past and I think they were just a touch better. Sigh...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look marvy. I love anything PB AND anything Isa (and Terry).

I'll be jumping on the trend and posting my upcakes soon, too. LOL.

Anonymous said...

You're right- they really are taking over the world!! I feel like I have to keep baking them, so I can keep blogging them, and they taste so good too. Yours came out so pretty, I don't blame you for eating them before dinner. =)
Sorry about Ming Dynasty- restaurants walk such a delicate line between being really good and being merely "eh."

Chris said...

Right you are urban vegan. And I believe you really can't overdo it with cupcake pictures so I'd love to see yours.

Those Boston cream ones might be next on our list Bazu. And how cool is it that you actually had a cupcake baked by Isa herself?

springsandwells said...

Hi Chris!
The cupcakes are looking great! I still haven't made any. I'll have to wait for an occassion when I can pass the majority of them off onto someone else. :)

Sorry to hear about your local restaurant changing hands. It's hard to find a veggie place that you can put your trust in... I hope it doesn't change too much!

Chris said...

thanks Amey! I know what you mean about passing them off. There's so many more recipes in the book that we want to try but we can't have cupcakes for breakfast and lunch every day. Can we?

Anonymous said...

Where exactly is Ming Dynasty? I could use a place where I can eat with my family who live on the other side of the mountain. And my mom is interested in going to an Ethiopian restaurant that is in H'burg thanks to the Veg Fest!

Lady Di