Friday, October 06, 2006

Baked Red Flannel Hash

We picked up some beets a couple weeks ago at the market and I was planning on trying the Red Flannel Hash recipe in Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe. Then when I got home today it was really cold in the house, maybe having something to do with the fact that it was 50 degrees and raining here all day today. So I decided I wanted to do something in the oven and maybe warm up the house a bit in the process. The recipe I mentioned calls for prepared soy bacon and I was going to marinate some tofu in the Vegan with a Vengeance Tempeh Bacon marinade and fry that up with the hash but then I figured I could just mix everything together with the marinade and bake it, kind of like when I made the barbecured tempeh. In the end it worked out well but it took a lot longer to cook than I anticipated. I guess beets are like that but I always forget. So here's what I did, with some notes on the cooking time at the end:

Diced beets, sweet potato, and white potato, about 1/2 pound each
1 medium onion, coarsley chopped
1/2 pound extra firm tofu, diced
2 Tbs. Bragg's or soy sauce
1 1/2 Tbs. cider vinegar
1 Tbs. peanut oil
1 Tbs. maple syrup
1 tsp. tomato paste
1/4 tsp. liquid smoke

Lightly oil a shallow baking dish and add the beets, potatoes, onions and tofu to the dish. Mix together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, pour over the potatoes, etc. and stir gently. Cover with foil and put into the oven to bake.

I baked this at 425° and it took about an hour and a half before the beets were tender. I stirred it occasionally and removed the foil about half way through. If you want it to cook faster you could steam, boil, or nuke in the mircowave the potatoes and beets before hand. Either way, you should cut the beets into a smaller dice than the potatoes since they generally take longer to cook.

2 comments:

Veggies, Crafts and Tails said...

this sounds really interesting, I LOVE the name too....

Chris said...

Thanks G... the beets definitely turn everything red. It's typically cooked with bacon but this version is much better ;-)