Monday, October 02, 2006

Black Bean and Chard Stew

Tonight witnessed a rare occasion where I was in the midst of chopping vegetables and I still had no idea what I was going to make. I knew I wanted to use up the chard we got at the market this past weekend and I figured a stew of some sort would be good. Then I had a vague recollection of an old Cuban stew recipe we still make once in a while with olives, tofu and tomatoes. Tonight's stew didn't turn out much like that but it started with that idea anyway. I can't offer you a recipe because I didn't measure anything but I can tell you that I got it going by cooking onions, red bell pepper, red Anaheim chile, celery and some of the chard stems in olive oil with salt & pepper. Then I added some garlic along with paprika and cumin. Next in went some crushed tomatoes, veggie broth and tomato paste and then the coarsely chopped chard leaves. Then a can of black beans, some chopped green olives, and finally some red wine vinegar along with a bit more salt. We just had it with some bread but it'd be good over rice too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely delicious! I'm a big fan of black beans and chard, I will have to make an attempt to recreate it.

SDMC said...

That looks fabulous. I don't have any chard on hand, but looks like I'll have to add it my list.

funwithyourfood said...

wow you're certainly good at winging it!

teddy

Chris said...

Sometimes I am Teddy. But unlike you I do rely on recipes quite often.

Thanks Shara. There's a particular vendor we like at our local farmers' market and he's always got nice chard. And that's often the only green we can find there so we've been having it a lot.

I'm a fan of both too Nikki and though I wasn't sure about this when I was making it, it came out pretty good.