Sunday, October 15, 2006

Burritos

Have you ever made a meal around a condiment? The other night when we made the sandwiches we had half an avocado left so I decided to try the Creamy Avocado Cashew Sauce from Vive le Vegan! Then I was trying to decide what to do with it so I figured I'd try Dreena's Chipotle Veggie-Bean Burritos, also from Vive. Never before have I used a recipe to make burritos but we had everything on hand for this one so there's a first time for everything. Actually we didn't have the chipotle hot sauce called for in the recipe but we did have some dried chipotles that I reconstituted in boiling water and finely minced. I put 2 of those suckers in there and that really kicked up the heat level. Usually when I make burritos I toss in whatever suits my fancy at the time and I never measure anything so I don't know if I'll use this recipe again but I'm sure I'll incorporate some of the ideas from it. And the avocado sauce was good but I think I prefer a simple guac; though the sauce will keep longer so that's a bonus.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh- I love chipotle. I used to really not like it, but recently I find myself craving it.
By the way, I answered your comment on my blog- the potatoes and kraut are really easy, and I think you guys will like them.

Anonymous said...

I've never followed a recipe for a burrito either- just use whatever I've got on hand. But it's funny that you made the meal based around a condiment. I'm going to have to try the avocado sauce sometime soon- it looks so good in your picture!

-Teresa

Anonymous said...

I didn't really care for that sauce when I made it because I don't like my avacados to be dilluted w/ soy milk and such! hehe. I like all the fatness that comes with eating pure avacados!

Those burritos look good!

Chris said...

I'm with you on the un-diluted avocado Julie. But the sauce is pretty good too so give it a try Teresa.

Thanks Bazu. We tried the Tofurkey brats once before and they were tasty.