Sunday, October 22, 2006

Jerk Seitan

It's been too long since we've had this great recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance. I'd been thinking about making it for a couple weeks and today I finally found the time. We've had it with mashed potatoes before but this time we took Isa's suggestion and had it with her coconut rice (only with brown rice). Also on the side are some collards that I've been meaning to do something with since I got them at the market last weekend. That's the thing about buying things fresh from the farmers' market - they've just been picked and they'll often keep in the fridge for a week. As for cooking the greens, we've tried various methods but tonight they came out really good with just a little onion and garlic and Spike seasoning. We'd never tried the Spike before but we had some excellent greens at the Charlottesville Vegetarian Festival recently and we asked the woman at the booth how she made them. For one thing she used a wide variety of greens, but she also put us on to the Spike seasoning and I have to say, that stuff's pretty good. We found it in our local mainstream grocery store so I would think it's pretty widely available.

8 comments:

mark said...

I think the jerk seitan must be one of my very favorite recipes ever -- I am always excited to have it. I'll have to try with the coconut rice sometime (good to know you can use brown rice just as easily). I've made the jerk recipe with frozen and thawed tofu, too, which was also good.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I want seitan now..

springsandwells said...

Oh yeah... I really love that recipe!! I have made it a few times, and every time I'm glad I did. yum yum. I like it with the coconute rice, too. It's a nice combo. :)

Anonymous said...

Omni loves this dish. And what's not to love?

Anonymous said...

nothing better than this, looks GOOD.

Chris said...

Thanks everyone! I'd call this a consensus - jerk seitan = YUM.

kris said...

I've been meaning to make this. Is it super spicy? My husband is really sensitive to spicy foos (i.e. a big baby).

Anonymous said...

Man, reading this late at night when I'm really hungry is a bad idea, but making that jerk seitan sometime is a *good* idea. I'll have to dig up that recipe...

-Jon