Thursday, October 26, 2006

Polenta Lasagna

So this is one answer to the question about using the leftover creamed spinach. This recipe is also (mostly) from The Convenient Vegetarian and it is convenient. I sliced a store-bought package of polenta and fried the slices in olive oil until golden brown on each side. I removed that from the pan and quickly fried some diced seitan (the recipe calls for crumbled tofu to be mixed with the spinach but we didn't have any and I figured the seitan might be better anyway).

To put it together, I put a little marinara sauce from a jar in the bottom of the pan then added some of the polenta, then some leftover spinach, then some seitan, then another layer of polenta, spinach and seitan. I poured the rest of the marinara sauce over the top, covered and simmered for about 5 minutes until everything was heated through. If you have time, it's not hard to make your own marinara but the store-bought stuff was pretty good and made this whole dish come together quickly. I just love one pot meals, especially yummy ones like this.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Great ideas! I've got a tube of polenta in my cabinet right now--you've given me inspiration! YUM!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that looks succulent.

Anonymous said...

I have a quick veg book, too, PDQ by Donna Klein. Haven't used it yet. I see you can make beautiful things quickly - good work! :)
Cherie

Chris said...

thanks lisa & bazu.

Cherie we have that PDQ book too, another one we got for cheap at a discount store. We haven't used it much either; maybe for 1 recipe but I don't remember which one. Maybe I'll take it out again and see what I can find...