Saturday, October 28, 2006

Sweet and Sour "Neat" Balls

Another recent addition to our cookbook collection is Dreena's The Everyday Vegan. We like her 2nd book Vive le Vegan! so we decided to round out the collection with this one (can't wait for the next one either). We're looking forward to delving into this book some more but this recipe is definitely a winner. The 'neat' balls are made with finely chopped or crumbled tofu, minced veggies, bread crumbs and other yummy stuff (like hoisin, miso and roasted garlic). At first I thought they might not hold together but once I got in there with my hands and mixed everything around well all was good (sometimes you just have to get your hands dirty). The homemade sweet & sour sauce was delicious too and we had them over quinoa with some sauteed mustard greens on the side.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your dinner looks so wonderful and healthful! I love to make neat balls and I have that cookbook too. The first time I made neat balls with tofu, I had the same experience - I put them on the baking sheet thinking they would just crumble apart, but they turned out perfect.

Anonymous said...

I made the neat balls, too, and thought they were tasty. Yours look awesome with that sauce!
Cherie

Sarah said...

Me three! This recipe is fantastic! It's the best 'neat' ball recipe out there. I love your photo!

Anonymous said...

*snort* "What do you eat?" What a silly question. I'm not even a vegetarian, much less a vegan, and I've perused enough of these blogs to know that you guys are really creative and eat pretty damn well!