Wednesday, November 22, 2006

And the mystery ingredient is...

Vanilla beans. Even with our free gift card it's crazy that we paid over 8 bucks for 2 vanilla beans right? We used one of them today for the vanilla buttercream frosting that went on top of the apple cider cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. And the real vanilla was good but I don't know if it was worth it. Not for the frosting anyway, which is all sugar and fat. We also made our pumpkin cheesecake today and tomorrow we'll make some vanilla pudding to go with the cheesecake. I think the real vanilla will be better served with the pudding. The desserts and a few other things (like homemade vegetable stock) were a jump start today for our Thanksgiving feast tomorrow. More on that later - for now check out the cupcakes. The vanilla's in the frosting you've just gotta look real close.

9 comments:

mark said...

Those are some pretty fantastic looking cupcakes! Have a great Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

I've never bought real vanilla! I love hearing how it works for your various recipes. And I can totally see the seeds in the frosting- cool!

By the way, following up on your turkey victory, I had a bit of a victory too. I entered a 100 mile Thanksgiving contest on treehugger.com (all the food had to be local) and my vegan recipe is one of the finalists! Ha ha, take that, turkey eaters. =D

Anonymous said...

oops, I meant vegan menu, not vegan recipe.

springsandwells said...

yum yum! Those cupcakes look great, and I like seeing the little vanilla bean flecks. I've never bought or cooked with a real vanilla bean, but they sure are beautiful and enticing. Can't wait to hear how the pudding comes out. Also, I am super interested in your pumpkin cheesecake! HEllo!! That sounds delish!
Happy Thanksgiving, Amey

Anonymous said...

I've never been able to bring myself to buy a real vanilla bean, although I'm sure it is a good bit tastier. Those cupcakes sound absolutely divine...

Chris said...

thanks Mark!

that's awesome about the contest Bazu. Congrats!

the pumpkin cheesecake is the same as we did last year Amey - I'm about to post the link to it. We haven't gotten around to the pudding yet though.

thanks Laura - the cupcakes were a little involved to make but extremely tasty.

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

oooh, that looks heavenly. i've been soooo wanting to make some cupcakes!

Chris said...

you should! they're sooo yummy!

funwithyourfood said...

oh man I just got some vanilla for my bday and I was SUPER excited. Glad to see you splurged and got some :)