Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Breakfast Burrito

At one time we thought about doing something special for our blog anniversary, but our motivation being what it is these days that didn't pan out. So another idea came about, based in large part on the fact that our fridge was looking very sparse. One of the reasons we started this blog was to disprove stereotypes about vegan food. I hope we've done that but tonight we've come full circle in a way by having a dinner that's full of stereotypes. What do vegans eat? Salads? Tofu? Fake meat? Burritos? Anyone who pokes around our archives can see there's a lot more than that but tonight, well... the stereotypical vegan food is kicked up just a little bit at least.

We had a simple salad with leaf lettuce, carrots, red onions and toasted pine nuts. At our last Trader Joe's run we picked up a bottle of orange champagne vinegar and it makes an excellent dressing. Whisk all of this stuff together in a bowl or shake it in a jar:

3 Tbs. orange champagne vinegar
1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 Tbs. agave
3 Tbs. flax oil
3 Tbs. olive oil
pinch of garlic powder and fresh ground pepper

In the burrito was a basic scrambled tofu with a couple of diced soy sausage patties thrown in. It also had red onion and grated carrot and was seasoned with salt & pepper, paprika, turmeric, nutritional yeast and a little lemon juice. And I also made some hash browned potatoes that I threw into the burrito, though you could have the tofu and hash browns without the tortilla and it'd be equally yummy. Don't you love a little breakfast for dinner?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks so delicious. I keep forgetting how much I love little breakfast burritos.

Anonymous said...

That burrito looks so good that Erin and I are going to have to try it!
-Doug in Batesville

SusanV said...

Happy blog anniversary! I think you're doing a lot to disprove the vegan steriotypes. Thanks for all you do.

I don't really like breakfast, but I DO like breakfast for dinner! :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks good. I love breakfast burritos! Thanks or sharing the vinaigrette recipe--I've never heard of orange shampagne vinegar before! Who would have thought?

Anonymous said...

Hey, sounds good to me. Stereotypes be damned!

Anonymous said...

Hey blog-a-versary you guys! You're one of the first vegan food blogs I bookmarked, and certainly still return to. The tofu scramble burrito looks like it hits the spot~

Chris said...

Thanks everyone! Come to think of it I don't know if I've ever had anything like this for breakfast so maybe I should just call it a dinner burrito...