Saturday, November 04, 2006

Pasta

First, a sincere thank you to everyone who has sent us comments and thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. It means a lot to us that so many people we've never met would take the time to offer us words of support. One of the reasons we started this blog was so that we could feel connected to a broader community of people who share our compassionate views and we're feeling that connection now more than ever.

I was talking to my aunt last night and not long after losing both of her parents several years ago she also lost a wonderful dog. And now she has another beautiful dog who's just been diagnosed with cancer. But she reminded me that even though times are tough we need to make sure we take care of ourselves. I'm trying to remember that advice so in addition to taking a shower for the first time in days today we also cooked dinner for the first time in a week. It wasn't anything special but it was a diversion for at least a little while. We had to toss some veggies that had been in the fridge for well over a week but we did salvage some cauliflower, a little broccoli and a red bell pepper. I cooked all that in olive oil with a small diced onion and some garlic then added some diced tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and seasoned it with paprika, basil, salt & pepper. I tossed in the pasta and some toasted pine nuts and it was a decent meal.

3 comments:

springsandwells said...

Hi Chris & Darlene,
Congratulations on making yourselves a dinner & taking a shower... It is indeed important to take care of yourselves. It can be so hard to gather momentum and energy during grief. I am thinking of you both a lot... good luck with finding grace in the midst of all of this.
Amey

Anonymous said...

I'm so so sorry for you both! We had to put our beautiful cat to sleep when his melanoma spread to his bones - it was seven years ago but his preseence is still everywhere. I'm sure the same will be for Violet with you.
Take care,
Mel

Anonymous said...

I just read about Violet. I'm so sad too. I don't know what else to say, I'm sorry.