Monday, November 13, 2006

Soup and a Sandwich

Usually if I make soup I like to make something hearty that's a meal by itself. Tonight though we had an idea to make a barbecue sandwich and we figured a lighter soup would go well with that. The Carrot Bisque from Vegan with a Vengeance was perfect; I halved the recipe and we just happened to have half a can of coconut milk in the fridge that we really needed to use. That might've been the first time I've had a carrot soup and it was excellent.

Also in the interest of using things up, I shredded half a head of cabbage that had been sitting around for a while and made that into coleslaw last night. Then tonight I cut up some seitan and quickly fried it in a little oil before pouring store-bought barbecue sauce on top. I made some nice multi-grain bread this past weekend and that was perfect for sandwiches with the seitan and coleslaw.

Oh, and as a side note, I'm not typically a big football fanatic but I admit I did think about putting the orange soup in the blue bowl in honor of my Florida Gators who are still in the national title hunt (albeit barely). And they're still #1 in basketball too. OK, I'm through now...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog so much. Thanks for posting so consistently; I always get good ideas from your meals.
Lisa

springsandwells said...

Hi Chris!
Sigh... I am so in awe that you make bread with some regularity. I wish I had an in-house bread baker! Also, the carrot soup looks great. There's a carrot-dill soup recipe in How It All Vegan that I used to make a lot, really tasty! Hope you are doing well,
:) Amey

Anonymous said...

I agree with Amey, it's so admirable that you bake your own bread. I have a fear of getting started. Are there any particularly simple recipes/books you'd recommend to get started?

Chris said...

Thanks so much Lisa.

Here's something you might find interesting Amey & Bazu. Someone I work with just forwarded me this article & recipe from the NY Times about bread that requires no kneading and very little work - just time to rise slowly. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds interesting.

Peter Berley's The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen has some good info and recipes for bread too.

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

Mmmmm, i've been wanting to try that carrot soup (and, whatd'ya know? we have some coconut milk that needs to be used as well! ;), looks so good!

And feel free to flaunt that FL pride all you need. hehe. I was worried we wouldn't pull that one off yesterday, to be honest.

Go Gators! :)