Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Sourdough Banana Pancakes

I haven't made bread in a while so I figured I'd do it this week since I'm off work. There's always starter left over when making sourdough and it works well for pancakes. I veganized and adapted this recipe from Nancy Silverton's Breads From the La Brea Bakery. I posted this once before way back when, but I tweaked the recipe again this morning and I think it came out better (this assumes you have a wet starter). Mix all this stuff in a bowl then do what you'd do for any other pancake:

2 c. sourdough starter
1 mashed banana
1 Tbs. ground flax seed
2 Tbs. whole wheat flour
2 Tbs. maple syrup
3 Tbs. oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda


We also wanted to let everyone know that we decided to continue posting on Violet's blog to keep her spirit alive and share more stories about her.

3 comments:

springsandwells said...

Is sourdough bread hard to make? I have always wanted to try it. Sourdough bread is probably my favorite food in the whole world. I absolutely love it. How did yours turn out?

Chris said...

I'm actually just about to start making it but it always turns out good. Mine doesn't turn out that sour but it's still good and I think that has to do with the local variety of wild yeast.

I don't think it's hard to make but it is rather involved. It's a 2 day process to make the bread plus a day or more beforehand to feed and refresh the starter if it hasn't been used in a while. There's not that much hands on time though - most of the time is just letting it sit. If you can find Nancy Silverton's book at the library, check it out. That's how I got started then I found my own copy for cheap on ebay.

springsandwells said...

cool! thanks for the info Chris. Also, thanks for the frying details the other day. I am less afraid of sourdough than I am of deep frying!
:)