Monday, November 27, 2006

Stir Fry

Thanksgiving food was good but now the leftovers are gone and between the stuffing, puff pastry and all the desserts I think we went through a 5 pound bag of white flour in the last week. So I decided whole grains would be good tonight. The fridge was sparse again but we had a small red cabbage, plus some seitan left from the pre-Thanksgiving batch. So a stir fry seemed relatively quick and easy and we had it over brown rice. In addition to the cabbage and seitan, I added carrots, green onions, garlic and ginger. I winged it on the sauce but it came out pretty good - it was some of the seitan cooking liquid, plus soy sauce, rice vinegar, agave, a little chili oil and cornstarch.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

Hi there Chris and Darlene!
Wow all your food looks great - what a Thanksgiving spread! I wish I had been invited hehe:)
I can't believe you made your own puff pastry - you rock!
Peace,
Caroline

Anonymous said...

Yum- I know exactly what you mean about whole grains. I already know I'm going to do a "detox" (Alex Jamison's book) starting on Jan. 1. That's how I justify baking right now!

Anonymous said...

Mmm I needed a stir fry with whole grains (short grain brown rice) the other night as well - it was calling me. You guys hit it on the nose with the too much flour, I'm feeling it.
Time for salads!

Chris said...

Hi Caroline... thanks for stopping by! The puff pastry was awesome and it's really not that hard to make. I mean if I can do it.....

All the baking is good but you've gotta have some balance eh bazu & jess?