Friday, November 17, 2006

Sweet Potato Chili

This is something we used to make quite often but it hasn't appeared here yet so I know it's been over a year since we last made it. It's from the first vegetarian cookbook we ever bought - The Meatless Gourmet - Favorite Recipes from Around the World by Bobbie Hinman (which has since been re-published with a new title - The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy International Recipes). In the past I've followed the recipe in the book fairly closely but tonight I adapted it somewhat based on what we had on hand:

1 Tbs. oil
1 medium white onion, diced
1 small jalapeno, minced (or to taste)
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
salt & pepper to taste
1 large sweet potato (about 1 lb.) peeled and cut into about 1/2" dice
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained
1 medium apple, peeled and diced (I used a Pink Lady but a Granny Smith would be fine.)
1 c. canned pineapple chunks

Heat oil over medium to medium-high heat in a 4-5 qt. pot. Add onion and jalapeno and cook for several minutes, then add garlic and spices and cook another minute. Add remaining ingredients, mix well and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, 30-40 minutes (you can make it go faster if you keep the heat a little higher and/or dice the sweet potato smaller). It goes great with rice or in this case cornbread.

We're out of town this weekend but we're already planning for our vegan Thanksgiving feast next week.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet potato and black beans is just about my favorite combo of ingredients. I made enchiladas with them recently. I've never put the fruit in with them - sounds good!

I can't wait to see your vegan feast Thanksgiving menu.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of sweet chili, but I'd never thought of putting pineapple in there, very intriguing!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe... I will definitely try it. Pineapple, how interesting!

Berrykat said...

I love chili I'll have to try this never thought of putting fruit in a chili sounds really interesting. Have a great thanksgiving :)

Chris said...

The pineapple does make it sweet but that's a good thing imho...

Anonymous said...

i made this and it was awesome! i wasn't sure if i was supposed to put all the juice from the pineapple in there, so it came out really spicy. next time i will put all the juice in. loves it!