Thursday, December 28, 2006

Bolognese Bread Pizza

We've been thinking lately about veganizing more Food Network recipes. We've done this occasionally in the past and I've noticed in looking at our site statistics that sometimes traffic comes to our blog from Google searches for Food Network personalities. So maybe one day soon this post will get a few hits from people searching for "Rachael Ray pizza recipe". Because this is way better for you and infinitely better for farmed animals than anything Rachael Ray can do. Her recipe for Bolognese Bread Pizza aired recently and it occurred to me that I could easily veganize it.

And I had just the bread in mind too. Last month a co-worker pointed me to an article and recipe in the NY Times for no-knead bread. I tried it and it came out very crusty and tasty, but also very wide and flat. I've thought about making it again and using a smaller pot to contain it and potentially make it rise more, but I figured it'd be great for this pizza exactly as it came out the first time. So I made the bread yesterday and planned on pizza tonight (I had a bit of trouble with the bread recipe - let me know if you want to try it and I'll expand on that). I cut the bread in half across the width and scooped out some of the inside (which I'll dry and make bread crumbs from later), then toasted the bread in a 400° oven for a few minutes. Next I piled on some of the bolognese (recipe below), followed by marinated mushrooms and kalamata olives, and finally a rosemary-tofu mixture very much like the Basil-Tofu Ricotta in Vegan with a Vengeance (1 lb. tofu mashed with olive oil, fresh rosemary, lemon juice, garlic, nutritional yeast and salt & pepper). Then the pizzas went back into the oven under the broiler this time just until the toppings were heated through and starting to brown a little.

Here's what I did for the bolognese:

3 Tbs. olive oil
double recipe of faux beef seitan from La Dolce Vegan (or 1 lb. seitan of your choice)
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
pinch of crushed red pepper
1/3 c. seitan cooking liquid (or veg. stock)
24-oz. bottle of strained tomatoes (or a large can of crushed tomatoes)
2 Tbs. tomato paste
2 tsp. vegan worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper to taste

Finely chop seitan in a food processor. Heat oil in a large skillet and add onion and carrot and cook for a minute or two. Then add seitan and cook for several more minutes until vegetables are getting soft and seitan is getting brown. Add garlic, thyme and red pepper and cook another minute, then add seitan liquid and cook for 30 secs. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes or so.

7 comments:

springsandwells said...

Holy Wow Chris!
I'm so impressed... it's so clear that you love to cook. I love that you made the bread and the sauce and the toppings... so neat.

Nice idea to modify more Food Network recipes. I don't watch much food network, but I have found some recipes I really enjoy there from time to time.

jenny said...

That looks so good!!!

Chris said...

Thanks Amey & Jenny!

Amey, I have to admit to being a bit of a food network junkie, though it definitely gets irritating sometimes. Still, I occasionally get ideas from watching it.

mark said...

I"ll be very curious to hear about your bread experiment in a smaller pot. I had exactly the same large flat shape as you did. I also thought the bread was excellent, though (I used 1/3 whole wheat for mine). It didn't stay fresh very long. In fact when I tried to make bread crumbs from the stale bit I thought I was going to break my food processor!

Chris said...

Thanks for the info Mark. We'll see how the bread crumbs go. The 1st time I made it I used all white flour and the 2nd time, for the pizza I also used 1/3 whole wheat. The shape came out the same both times.

bazu said...

I somehow missed this post while catching up on your latest! But I just wanted to comment and say it looks great.

Also, like you, I can be a FN junkie at times, but it's definitely a love/hate thing. I'm actually thinking of starting a new feature on my blog "this week's most disgusting food network recipe." Paula Deen would be make frequent appearances... =)

Veg-a-Nut said...

This looks wonderful. I would love the bread recipe if possible. I clicked on your link, but since I am not a member of the paper I was not able to access it. If possible can you please email me the recipe? Love your site by the way. My mouth is watering just loooking at the pictures. Shereeb@cox.net

My blog: boosveg-a-nut.blogspot.com