Sunday, December 10, 2006

Mitch's Vegetarian Chili

This recipe dates back a long time, to when we used to live in Raleigh, NC. There was a place called Mitch's right across the street from the NC State campus (maybe it's still there?) and we'd eat lunch there occasionally and we'd usually get their veggie chili. Then one day the chili recipe was published in the local paper and I clipped it out. We still make it every so often, but I guess it's been a while since the last time because we haven't mentioned it here yet. One great thing about this recipe is that it's almost entirely fat free. That was especially good for today since we had a few friends over earlier for a small memorial service for Violet and one of the items on the menu was apple uglies. So we definitely had our share of fat for the day.

But back to the chili. Tonight I made a couple of very small modifications but I'll just give you the original recipe and you can do what you like with it.

1/4 c. split peas
1/4 c. brown lentils
4 c. chopped green cabbage (about 1/4 of a large head)
2 medium onions, cut into 1/2" dice
6 c. water
2 Tbs. minced fresh jalapenos
4 medium carrots, diced
5 stalks celery, diced
2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
1/3 c. chopped fresh cilantro
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs. salt
1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbs. cumin seed
2 Tbs. chili powder
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 15-oz. cans kidney beans, drained

Combine split peas, lentils, cabbage and onions in a large soup pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except beans. Bring back to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add beans and simmer another 30 minutes.

This makes a lot so you could easily cut the recipe in half. Or you could freeze half and have a quick meal with it in the future.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny, I was just thinking of apple uglies today. I guess I should go make them now! :-)

Anonymous said...

I usually make chili with black beans, red beans, and pintos. I'll have to give it a try with lentils, which I love!

Anonymous said...

Yet another fabulous idea for chili: cabbage! I love how many permutations of this dish there are.

Oh, p.s., I'm *totally* planning to go to Sunflower, and taking my mom and aunt with me. Can't wait to check it out!

Anonymous said...

to prepare for winter, you can never amass enough chili recipes. I like the use of cabbage in this one, being a Polish girl.

Anonymous said...

Mitch's is still there, and I love this Chili! I am so happy to have found this recipe. Thanks for posting. - former Raleigh resident.

Anonymous said...

I eat at mitches all the time and just wanted to say thanks soo much for posting this recipe.

Chris said...

you're welcome!