Thursday, December 14, 2006

Pasta Marinara with Broccoli

This really isn't all that special but I haven't posted in a few days and I also wanted to give a nod to a book I haven't mentioned before. This is from 150 Vegan Favorites by Jay Solomon, which I think is the first vegan cookbook we bought. We haven't used it very often of late but it's got some good recipes in it. This one is relatively basic but easy and healthy. Just dice an onion and cook in olive oil, add some garlic, then a can of plum tomatoes and season with salt, pepper, basil and oregano. Cook all that for a bit then puree with a hand blender, then add about a cup or so of kidney beans. Meanwhile start your pasta cooking (whole wheat spaghetti in our case) and when there's about 3-4 minutes left until the pasta's done, add some broccoli florets to the boiling water. Spoon the sauce over the pasta and broccoli and you're done. Or if you like kalamata olives like we do and you have some on hand sprinkle a few of those on top.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Hey Chris! I meant to ask you about this in person, but I completely forgot. I heard you have the best flourless chocolate cake recipe in the world. Would you mind sharing it?

Anonymous said...

Simply the best. I forget I'm a fan of olives in sauces, but yeah, I totally am. This looks delish.

Chris said...

thanks Jess...

Heidi... ummm... I'm not sure I remember such a thing. Are you sure it's me you're thinking of? Maybe I'm just spacing at the moment. If I come up with it I'll let you know.