Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Quinoa Jambalaya

I used to do something like this quite often way, way back in my pre-veg days and I'd make it with chicken. I don't remember where I initially found the recipe but no matter; it's been changed and veganized over the years and using quinoa instead of rice is yet another twist. Last time I made it with brown rice and it was marginally successful; this time was very good. I didn't measure anything except for the quinoa and liquid. Everything else is approximate but this should be close:

2 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 block extra firm tofu, cubed
1 Tbs. soy sauce
1 c. diced red onion
1 c. diced green bell pepper
1/2 c. diced celery
1/2 c. sliced button mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
1 c. (packed) choped kale
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 c. quinoa
1 c. diced tomatoes (with their liquid)
1 c. vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
hot sauce to taste
salt & pepper to taste
chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)

Heat 1 Tbs. olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add tofu and cook, stirring occasionally until tofu is brown. Add soy sauce and cook for another minute or so, stirring constantly. Set tofu aside and add remaining olive oil to the same pan. Add onions and a pinch of salt and cook for a minute then add bell pepper, celery and mushrooms. Cook for several more minutes then add garlic, kale, basil and thyme and cook for another minute. Add quinoa and stir, then add stock, tomatoes, bay leaf, hot sauce, salt & pepper and mix well. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 16-18 minutes or until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove bay leaf and serve garnished with parsley.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love meals like this. Yours looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, this one looks delish....I think I may have to try it! I love spicy things.

Anonymous said...

looks very good, thanks for share the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I love jambalaya, and have never thought of using quinoa in it in this way! What a unique idea!

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Quinoa is so versatile if you just have a little courage. You are inspiring those quinoaphobic among us. ;)