Saturday, January 13, 2007

Birthday Dinner

Darlene's birthday dinner last night was excellent, though nothing we haven't written about here before. I made probably our favorite recipe from La Dolce Vegan, Jay-Lo's Fried "Chicken", which we had with ketchup and hot sauce. On the side was some simple steamed cauliflower, topped with a little margarine, salt & pepper and bread crumbs. And to round it out, some yummy, good-for-you greens - collards and spinach in this case.

But the best part was dessert. When I was in Florida I found some very nice Key limes at a produce market and I just had to bring a few home. Now the natural thing to do with Key limes is to make their namesake pie, but then we happened upon the Margarita Cupcake recipe in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and we were instantly sold on that idea. We weren't disappointed either, and I think the Key limes really made a difference, being slightly more tart than their more common counterpart. And who can resist a cupcake with tequila in it?

12 comments:

Lady Di said...

I made those cupcakes for the first time for a friends birthday last weekend. I bet they were even yummier with the key lime juice. I actually still have some icing left that I'm trying to figure out what I can use it for besides more cupcakes.

It was a pretty well recieved meal all around. It was homemade pizza night, and I had bought regular cheese and pepperoni for them, just in case, but they ended up loving the FYH mozzarella cheese and veggies that I used and I never had to use them. YAY!

laura jesser said...

What a great birthday dinner! Is the "chicken" made from seitan?

Those cupcakes are so cute--I love the colorful sprinkles.

Geraldine said...

Happy Happy Birthday Darlene!!! Glad you had a wonderful supper to share with your lovely mate!


Huggs, G

Megan said...

Cool idea. I think I'll try to make those next month for a dear friend who loves his margaritas.

bazu said...

Happy Birthday, Darlene!

You guys know how to eat. I haven't tried those cupcakes yet, but I've joked that I'll only make the cupcakes with alcohol in them, so they can't be that far off!

springsandwells said...

Happy Birthday Darlene!

That looks like such a fun birthday dinner - some indulgence, something healthy, and a special dessert!

:)

Karena said...

Those cupcakes look so wonderful, you actually sent me searching other blogs for VCTOTW offerings. I'm so impressed it's in my amazon shopping cart right now!

Hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Brooke said...

Now, that's my kind of birthday cupcake!

aTxVegn said...

Happy Birthday, Darlene! What adorable cupcakes. I'm glad you got some key limes. They are so commonplace here and I get them 12 for a dollar. If you have any leftover, put some juice in guacamole or any of your asian or peanut type sauces - so good.

Darlene said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone! The cupcakes were great!

And yes Laura, the fried "chicken" is made with seitan. It's the chicken-style recipe from LDV, breaded with seasoned flour and pan fried. Yum!

Oh, and Lady Di - I'd just eat the icing with a spoon ;-)

funwithyourfood said...

ooh happy belated bday Darlene
:)

Teddy

VeganCyclist said...

Happy Birthday Darlene!