Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Millet Polenta and Spring Rolls

Another 2 meals in one post. First up, I took a cue from Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! and tried the Millet and Spinach Polenta with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto from Vegan with a Vengeance. My polenta didn't get real firm (maybe I didn't cook enough water out of it) and though I was very careful frying it, many of the pieces still fell apart. No matter though because it still was delicious. Especially with the pesto. For the pesto I used oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes and a little less water than the recipe calls for so I had a firm pesto, but still... Yum-O! (Oh... sorry... slipped back into Rachael Ray mode for a second.) On the side we had a salad with fresh spinach, a few other mixed greens, carrots and pine nuts and a balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
Last night it was Vietnamese-style spring rolls, though these were a little unorthodox. It's interesting what you come up with based on a single ingredient. We had some cilantro in the fridge that was going south and Darlene found a recipe for spring rolls in Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. We didn't have many of the ingredients for that recipe but we did have the rice paper spring roll wrappers (the kind that you soak in warm water to reconstitute) so we made up our own thing. We did a mashed tempeh mixture with vegenaise and chili oil (kind of like this), and added that to the rolls with soba noodles, cilantro, green onions and carrots. For a dipping sauce we tweaked Deborah Madison's recipe and put together red wine vinegar, minced garlic, chopped peanuts, agave, and probably one or two other things I can't remember. At any rate, these were really good for something that was a last minute idea based on old cilantro.

5 comments:

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

Isn't that millet polenta and the pesto just toooo yummy? i still don't know how Isa got hers to NOT fall apart. mine became a crumbly mess when i tried to eat leftovers, but soooo good, regardless!

i <3 using the rice paper wraps. for a while there i wasn't sure we'd go a night without having them as an appetizer. our favorite dipping sauce is just peanut butter thinned with water, agave, ginger, and some red pepper flakes.

everything looks amazing, as usual. ;)

hope you guys are braving all that weather well. blech!

bazu said...

This is one of the first dishes I cooked from VwaV. I agree that it's really yummy, and a satisfying twist on polenta, which is one of my favorites anyway.

I thing we shaped our polenta in similar ways. I posted my photo here

Chris said...

That's a great idea for a simple dipping sauce dgmgv. We also sometimes use straight hoisin sauce or mix it with a little rice vinegar and apricot jam. The snow that was called for here never materialized but still it's pretty cold. Looks like we won't even see 40 degrees for at least the next week.

Bazu, I just spread it in a baking dish then cut it into squares. Looks like that's what you did too. Your pic looks great.

laura jesser said...

Not only do the spring rolls sound delicious, but they look so lovely too! Very creative way to use up the end of the cilantro!

I really am going to give that polenta recipe a try one of these days...

vko said...

Polenta looks fabulous! Have to try that one soon!

And I absolutely adore cilantro- which is why I use almost any chance I get, even breakfast- it's great on scrambled tofu!

All your dishes look delicious!