Saturday, January 20, 2007

Minestrone

We're definitely liking Nava Atlas' Vegetarian Soups For All Seasons. This minestrone was relatively simple but very delicious, especially with some nice crusty baguette. It's got the traditional onion, carrot & celery base with a tomato-based broth and Italian seasonings. There's chickpeas, green peas and potatoes in her version too and I threw in some kale for good measure. I may not have even posted about it but it reminded me of a story. When we lived in Raleigh, North Carolina many years ago, it was about this time of year and we had a nasty ice storm. We lost power, along with much of the rest of the city, one morning and by noon the next day our power was still out and the temperature in our apartment was in the mid-50's. We decided we had to find some place warm and we started calling restaurants to see which ones had power. We checked on a couple local places to no avail then we finally called Olive Garden and they had power. So we drove on over for lunch and a warm place to sit for a while. We both had their minestrone soup and while typically this might not be anything special, on this day it was piping hot and it was the best soup we'd ever had. And when we got back home our power was back on and the heater was working overtime.

8 comments:

maybepigscanfly said...

I just ordered this cookbook off amazon after hearing so many great things about it. I swear all vegan bloggers have posted a recipe from it and I feel out of the loop. I'm with you on adding kale- you can never go wrong with that decision!

-Teresa

springsandwells said...

What a sweet story! I really, really love minestrone soup. It's hearty and yet light. I always feel warmed, nourished, and fulfilled after a big bowl of it.

Also, I've read a lot of nice things about that book. Maybe I'll pick it up sometime soon. I traded in a ton of books at our local book store, and I've got a load of trade credit. woo hoo!

Lena said...

That soup looks divine! Two thumbs up on the kale, too.

Brooke said...

Ahhhh, Olive Garden minestrone...that's the only thing I will eat there, and it is pretty good. But yours does look much better!

bazu said...

Just reading your post warmed me up! You are so right though, a perfect minestrone is definitelly a thing to treasure. So good.

aTxVegn said...

What a great soup story! It reminds me of my family in Amarillo who think Olive Garden is the best restaurant in town. I'm so spoiled here in Austin!

Every soup I've tried from Nava's book has been super. I also love the savory oat muffins in the back of the book.

Your chili pie looks so good too. I've been meaning to make that, but we've always served it over fritos. Know of any low sodium frito type chips?

Chris said...

Mmmmmm.... Fritos.... but no, sorry I can't think of any better options.

Looks like the verdict is in.
Nava's soups book - good
kale - good
Olive Garden - feh...

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Fran said...

Atlas is like The Soup King. The soups in her The Vegetarian Family Cookbook (the only book of hers I own--I'll put the soup one on my to-get list) are so good. I've made the mock unchicken noodle one many times, and I've only recently bought the book. I'm making that soup again tonight!

There's also a great quick cinnamon bread recipe in that book--I've made that one a lot too....