Monday, January 29, 2007

Pizza and Crepes

Though not at the same time. I don't know if there's any topping that last post but I'll press on. I've mentioned that often on weekends we spend more time cooking but that wasn't really the case this past weekend. On Saturday I made pizza (inspired by Amey) which I don't have time to do on weekdays since I started on the dough in the middle of the afternoon. Other than that though, there wasn't much to it. I made some soy sausage with TVP and tempeh using a slightly modified version of the recipe in Cooking with PETA. Then I just crumbled that mixture and fried it with some frozen spinach and that was the pizza topping, along with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast and a drizzle of olive oil. And though you should always make your own sauce, I used sauce from a jar. I made two pizzas we had one for dinner Saturday and one for Sunday dinner.

For breakfast Sunday we had crepes. I've had mixed success making crepes but these came out great. I used the recipe in Very Vegetarian, which has a tablespoon of gluten flour in it to make the batter a little more stretchy. It also calls for letting the batter sit in the fridge overnight, which I did, and it worked very well. These were filled with strawberry jam and lime zest and were most delectable.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh wow, those crepes sound and look fantastic! Bravo!

bazu said...

I agree- they look really appetizing. It's been way too long since I had crepes.

Chris said...

It had been too long for us too. I've had a bit of a fear of crepes but not anymore after trying this recipe.

Sexy Vegan Chick said...

Wow, those look really yummy!

I love your site, keep it up! I added a link to your site on mine because I definitely think my readers will love your information as I did.
Take care and thanks so much!
~Allie
http://aveganlife.blogspot.com