Monday, January 01, 2007

Tangerine-Cinnamon Rolls

Those of you who have resolved to eat fewer sweets in this new year might want to stop right here. Although really, these aren't that bad for you. The idea started when we visited the big city yesterday (Washington DC). We did the cultural thing at the Hirshhorn Museum but we were also on a quest for good vegan food, which DC has in abundance (compared to our humble town anyway). One of the places we went was Sticky Fingers Bakery, and when they say they have the best buns in town they aren't kidding. We got a massive and delicious cinnamon bun there and no sooner had we walked out the door than we were already scheming about making our own variation of this sweet treat at home. We were both thinking about orange sticky buns that we've had in the past and it just so happens that my parents in Florida sent us a box of beautiful tangerines for Christmas. So this morning I set to work and came up with the following recipe. It's adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.

For the dough:
3/4 c. warm water
2 tsp. agave
1 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 c. soy milk
2 Tbs. canola oil
1 tsp. salt
2 c. all purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour

For the filling:
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
zest of 1 tangerine
2 Tbs. margarine, melted

For the icing:
1 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 Tbs. tangerine juice (from the tangerine you zested for the filling)

Mix together warm water, yeast and agave and set aside for 5-10 minutes. Then add this mixture to a large bowl along with the soy milk, oil and salt. Work in the flours until you have a rough dough, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 6-8 minutes until the dough is smooth and resilient. Put into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in volume, an hour or longer.

Next, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface again, punch it down and knead for a few seconds. Cover it with a towel and let it rest for a few minutes while you prepare the filling by mixing together the cinnamon, pecans, brown sugar and tangerine zest. Roll the dough out into a 12 x 16 inch rectangle, brush with the melted margarine and sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar mixture evenly on top. Tightly roll up across the length then use a serrated knife to cut the roll into pieces about 1 inch wide. Place the pieces flat on a lightly greased baking sheet about 2 inches apart and cover with a towel. (If you have any margarine left you can brush some on top.) Now would be a good time to preheat your oven to 375°. After about 30 minutes, remove the towel and place the rolls in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until they're just starting to brown. Then put them on a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely before you drizzle on the icing that you made by whisking together the powdered sugar and tangerine juice.

The sweet rolls were scrumptious, but just so you don't think that we're all about indulgences, we had a nice healthy spinach salad for dinner. It was topped with Tempeh Bacon, avocado, shredded carrots, chickpeas and a balsamic vinaigrette dressing and boy was it good.

Happy New Year!

10 comments:

aTxVegn said...

The one treat I wanted to make but didn't get to make this holiday was cinnamon rolls, probably with apple. Your tangerine rolls look so good! I must wait a few weeks to make them though or I will never get all this sugar out of my body! The salad sounds awesome too. I love chickpeas!

elena said...

hello,
I´m nice to meet you: big discovery. it is wonderful to see your meals and to learn new vegan recipes: delightful!

a greeting,
elena

(excuse my horrible english, please. I need the help of a translator: http://freetranslation.imtranslator.com/)
:)

Chris said...

thanks atxvegn! We never thought about making these until we went to Sticky Fingers but we were glad we did.

Hola Elena! Gracias por visita.
No digo el español pero disfruté viendo sus cuadros.
(I definitely needed the help of the translator.)

Johanna3 said...

they looks more than good! happy new year!

bazu said...

Oh gosh... I'm one of those people trying to stay off the sugar for a while. But I'll have to file this recipe for 6 weeks from now! I'm a sucker for all things cinnabon.

Happy New Year to you, too!

springsandwells said...

OH Wow!!
Those cinnamon buns look outrageous!! Cinn buns are my all time most favorite, and I haven't made them in a while. I think I'll try this recipe. They just look so scrumptious!

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

oh yum, these look and sound amazing.

but i gotta tell ya, nothing makes my mouth water more than a perfect avacado like the one on your salad. i'll take that fat over sugar any day! hehe. yummy!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I saw these yesterday and they inspired me to put orange (no tangerines on hand) in my stir fry. That's what kind of impression they had!

kathyF said...

I'd never have thought of using tangerine juice! I'll have to do that!

One of the best Christmas surprises for me was when I smelled cinnamon rolls baking in the oven. It used to be a tradition at our house to buy those Pillsbury rolls and bake them before we opened presents, since no one wanted to cook.

But my husband, unbeknownst to me, made dough in the breadmachine, and formed and baked the rolls--all without a recipe! I was totally shocked. Next time he does this I'll try your glaze recipe.

lotta said...

Thank you very much for this recipe!
It came out really good. I love it.
I linked this recipe on my blog.
Thanks again!