Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Tangerine Seitan


Here's something else to do with these nice Florida tangerines we got. I've been thinking about this for a while and though someone else stole my thunder a bit, I pressed on with it anyway. This is adapted from Mimi Clark, who taught a class we went to last year. In this version I've used homemade seitan and some of the cooking broth from said seitan but you could also use store-bought seitan and vegetable stock.

8 oz. beef-style seitan, torn into bite-sized chunks
3 1/2 Tbs. cornstarch, divided
3/4 c. seitan cooking broth
3 Tbs. soy sauce
1 Tbs. agave
2 tsp. sesame oil
juice and zest from 1 tangerine
1 Tbs. peanut oil, divided
1/2 lb. broccoli, chopped
1 Tbs. minced ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper

Coat the seitan with 2 Tbs. cornstarch and set aside. Mix together the rest of the cornstarch, and the broth, soy sauce, agave, sesame oil and tangerine juice and set aside. Heat 1 tsp. peanut oil in a wok over medium-high heat and stir-fry the broccoli for a few minutes until tender-crisp. Remove the broccoli from the pan and add the remaining 2 tsp. peanut oil. Stir-fry the seitan for several minutes until crispy, then add the ginger, garlic, red pepper and tangerine zest and cook another minute or so. Add the broccoli back to the pan, then add the sauce and cook just until the sauce is thickened. Serve over brown rice. And if you've got some scallions on hand chop a few of them up and throw 'em on top.

16 comments:

mark said...

I need to quit my job so I can spend all day trying out the great recipes you post. (Not that I couldn't find the time and still work -- it all seems delightfully possible within a normal schedule -- I just thought the no work thing made it seem more luxurious.) This looks great.

Vegan_1 said...

Wow that looks great. Did you use the VWAV seitan recipe or another one? I also can't wait to make the sticky buns, thanks so muchf or that post.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Oh wow, this looks just like what your tangerine rolls inspired me to make! Any trick to keeping the seitan crispy in the sauce? This looks so, so good, by the way.

Chris said...

Thanks Mark - I'd like to quit my job (or at least work less) and spend more time cooking too. If you figure out how to do that let me know ;-)

vegan1 - this was with some seitan I pulled out of the freezer and it had been in there a while so I'm not sure which recipe it came from. I think it was probably the VWAV recipe but if not it was from la Dolce Vegan - I most often use either one or the other.

alas Jess there's no trick I know of to keep it crispy in the sauce. I actually tried the trick of frying it twice and it did get nice and crispy that way but adding the sauce took a lot of that away so I left that out of the recipe. Probably the best thing to do if you want the seitan to stay crispy is to keep it separate and pour the sauce on top when you serve it. Come to think of it, maybe I'll try that next time.

tamara said...

WOW. I realllllly want to make this! I am actually craving this type of dish at the moment... mmm. My problem with coating things with cornstarch, though, is that when I put them on the frying pan sometimes the cornstarch sticks to the pan and comes off whatever it is coating.. I have no idea why. I end up with half coated stuff and crispy cornstarch chunks (which are actually quite good, ha).

Anyways, this looks delicious. I may have to opt for store bought seitan though, I've never made my own and it looks really difficult!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Thanks, Chris! I was thinking of trying that in the future as well, gotta love a crispy coating.

Jamie and Jana said...

Wow, that sounds awesome! Thanks for all the great ideas. I will have to try the great seitan. :)

Urban Vegan said...

you are on a tangerine rool. that sounds mind-blowingly delicious.

laura jesser said...

Yum, tangerine... I still have never cooked with seitan. I don't know why I'm so reluctant--that looks delicious!

Chris said...

Thanks everyone! And don't be put off by seitan Laura & Tamara. It's really not that hard to make yourself either. Lately I've been using the recipe in La dolce Vegan because it's very quick to prepare. It has to simmer for an hour but you can be doing other things during that time and just check on it occasionally..

Johanna3 said...

thanks for share the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...made this last night. It was fabulous! Thanks for posting the recipe!

Vanessa said...

Mmmm... I'm quiting my job too. I've always been a sucker for sweet-n-savory.

Candi said...

Oh, I just saved this recipe and know I'm going to love it!! :) Thanks for posting it!

Sarah said...

Yummy! I'm saving this with a few variants (can't eat the oil... sigh) but I KNOW it's going to be decadent! Thanks!

Diana said...

This looks great. I am excited to give it a try with soy curls.

As for the crispiness issue, another similar recipe I have used with tofu or seitan has you cook the sauce in a separate pan. Downside is that this method gives you one more pan to wash, but it's worth it. You just toss the crispy tofu/seitan and broccoli with the sauce right before you serve it.

I haven't tried that with soy curls yet, but I will be doing so soon.