Friday, February 23, 2007

Deconstructed Sushi

I think that's just a fancy way of saying I was too lazy to roll sushi so I threw all the ingredients on a plate and called it dinner. I started by cooking some brown rice, and when that was done I mixed in a couple of chopped up nori sheets along with a splash of rice vinegar and a few drops of chili oil. A few mounds of the rice mixture went on the plate and one was topped with carrots and cucumber, another with avocado, and another with shiitake mushrooms. The avocado was mixed with a dash of rice vinegar as well, along with a pinch of salt. And the shiitakes were steamed briefly in a soy sauce/water mixture. Some chopped scallions went on top of everything and the obligatory soy sauce and wasabi found their way onto the plate as well. Purists will scoff but it did taste a lot like sushi. Only without all the fuss.

15 comments:

Melody said...

I think deconstructed sushi is delicious! I do it all the time in a form a a salad and other rolls... mmmm.. and a pretty presentation too!

The Reluctant Vegan said...

I had something very similar at a dinner party in Tokyo last summer, and they called it sushi, so I think you can safely do so without worry of being inauthentic. :-)

laura jesser said...

I think it looks very nice, and certainly is a lot less fussy than rolling sushi. Very creative!

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

What a great idea! Looks wonderful!

vko said...

Ah yes, lazy sushi- it's great & easy and the presentation delightful.

bazu said...

I believe in lazy sushi. It's all about the flavors... most sushi restaurants even have rice or sashimi bowls, so I think you're right on! And yum!

P.S. When you guys go to NYC in the Spring, make sure to look for a booklet called "vegan in New York City" - the sheer number of options is mind-blowing!

Twisted Cinderella said...

What a fun idea! Very creative naming as well!

Veg-a-Nut said...

Awesome idea! Looks fantastic. Not lazy just very creative!

funwithyourfood said...

I make this ALL the time.
I love it. and i stink at rolling haha

teddy

Chris said...

It just takes a little practice Teddy. Though having said that I have to admit that the few times we've made sushi I always make Darlene do the rolling ;-)

I'm glad to hear that others of you have done similar things and we're not completely stepping all over tradition here. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Denise said...

Deconstructed sushi is TOTALLY authentic, in Japan it's called 'chirashi-sushi' so enjoy without any fear of the Authenticity Police ;)

Julia said...

I'm glad to see it is authentic. I've started to make sushi a couple times, but ran out of time and threw it together like this!

Vanessa said...

One of my fav dishes! I think it's just as fun to eat as real sushi, and QUITE a bit easier.

Mikaela said...

That's the most celebratory-looking dish I've seen in a while. It looks like a party on a plate, complete with confetti! It'd be great for a birthday get together :) What a clever idea!

lubo said...

here,learn to cook Chinese foods:
Yuanxiao
Egg Bubble Soup
Oil - Braised Prawns (Beijing Style)
Chengdu Stir-fry Shredded Carrot
Sweet and Sour Pork
Style Fried Fish