Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentines Day

For my valentine tonight I made Ginger-Sesame Portobellos with Wasabi Mashed Potatoes and steamed green beans. Dessert was a simple vanilla pudding with fresh raspberries. I pulled out a back issue of Vegetarian Times for the portobello/wasabi mashed potato ideas. For the 'shrooms, marinate 4 portobello caps for half an hour or so in a mixture of minced fresh garlic (2 cloves) and ginger (1 Tbs.), 1 Tbs. tahini, 1/2 c. tamari, 1/3 c. sesame oil, 1 Tbs. brown sugar and 3 Tbs. white wine (I actually used rice vinegar). Then remove from marinade and cook in peanut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. Slice each mushroom on the bias and serve with the reserved marinade. I put the marinade in the pan to heat it up and cook it down slightly. It went well over the taters too. Those I made by peeling, chopping and boiling some Yukon gold potatoes, then mashing them with rice milk, sesame oil, salt and a little wasabi. Ever since we made sushi I'd been wondering what else to do with that tube of wasabi we bought and it sure does go good with mashed potatoes.

For dessert, I splurged and got some fresh raspberries and I layered them in a glass with vanilla pudding (we posted the recipe for the pudding here). We also had some vanilla frosting left from a cupcake adventure yesterday so I put a dollop of that on top and drizzled on some agave to finish it off.

10 comments:

Veg-a-Nut said...

Dinner and dessert look delish! I never think to pull out my old magazines. good idea

springsandwells said...

Wow!
You've got a lucky valentine! That looks like such an elegant and delicious valentine meal. I always feel so fancy when I've made a main dish, and a side dish, and a dessert - it's like going out to a restaurant!
:) Amey

Chris said...

thanks veganut!

I know what you mean Amey. More often than not our meals consist of one main dish and that's it. Of course then there's fewer dishes to wash...

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

very wholesome yet classy.

aTxVegn said...

Excellent job, Chris! Now I remember why I save all my veg magazines. That meal looks so good.

Johanna3 said...

great meal!

Mikaela said...

Mmmm... wasabi smashed potatoes :)

Twisted Cinderella said...

That looks wonderful! I love pulling out old magazines and trying recipes!

Brooke said...

Wow, how elegant and delicious it sounds!

Chris said...

thank you everyone! my valentine enjoyed it ;-)