Saturday, February 10, 2007

Split Pea Soup

It passed 40 degrees here today for the first time in over a week but still, it's good soup weather. We've done similar things before, but this split pea soup I threw together mostly from Nava Atlas' Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons. It's got some curry powder in there and also a little barley which is really a nice addition. The barley brings some texture to the bowl and also increases the health factor just a bit over adding potatoes like I often do.

We were content with a light dinner after having a large (and late) lunch at Sammy T's in Fredericksburg. We participated in the American tradition today of driving a couple hours to go shopping, in this case looking for a few things at Ikea. Though we left there without spending too much money which is always good. Anyway, if you're ever in the neighborhood Sammy T's is worth checking out as they have quite a few vegan options clearly marked on their menu. I can't say I'd recommend the fries, but both Darlene's tempeh burger and my spinach wrap were quite good. Oh, and if you're looking for the non-smoking section you need to go in a separate entrance around the side. We didn't realize that until after we'd already eaten in the bar area, but the air was fairly clear where we were so no worries. And we were reminded once again that though Charlottesville has some decent options for eating out, there's nothing quite like this here and that's a shame. Really, how hard is it to have a few vegan options and label them as such on your menu?

5 comments:

Veg-a-Nut said...

Wonderful looking soup. Just what the doctor ordered!

Twisted Cinderella said...

I love pea soup! I made some yesterday for my lunch.

aTxVegn said...

The soup looks delicious. I hope to work my way through that enitre soup book as I haven't been disappointed yet.

bazu said...

Here here about the restaurants. There is an ever-increasing market for veg. foods- get on it, people!

Chris said...

thanks everyone! and right you are bazu!