Sunday, February 25, 2007

Stromboli

This meal started with fixing our ancient bread machine. It's probably 10 years old but we still used it occasionally until it quit working last year. A week or so ago Darlene finally took the initiative to take the thing apart and she realized that it was simply a case of a broken belt. We found a new belt on-line for 8 bucks and vóila, we now have a working bread machine again. We do like to make bread from scratch but the machine is nice sometimes too. Especially for making dough, which is often what we use it for. Just throw in all the ingredients and walk away. This weekend we started with making cinnamon rolls, and after that we threw together a pizza dough recipe. We planned on making calzones but then I found a stromboli recipe in Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson and we decided that was more interesting - and also slightly easier to make. I didn't end up using that recipe but that's what gave me the idea. I had never looked much at this book before but I found a copy in the library this weekend and checked it out. Maybe I never looked through it before because I was intimidated by the size of it (it's pretty fat), but just flipping through it for a few minutes in the library I found several recipes I'd like to try so I bet it'll show up here again.

But back to the stromboli. Which is essentially a rolled up pizza. I sautéed onion, red bell pepper, yellow squash, mushrooms and garlic in olive oil, threw in a little veg. sausage, then a few chopped canned tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes. I seasoned it with salt & pepper, crushed red pepper, basil and oregano. The I rolled the pizza dough out into a big rectangle, spread the filling on top, rolled it up and baked it at 400° for 30 minutes. I didn't seal it well enough and it started coming apart in the oven but still it tasted pretty good.

9 comments:

Twisted Cinderella said...

Wow that looks absolutely heavenly!

bazu said...

That stromboli looks great- very colorful. And great job fixing the bread machine- I grow attached to old appliances, so I'd be tickled if one "came" back to life!

Melody said...

It looks great!

I love that Darlene took the machine apart and figured out what was wrong with it..

Chris said...

Alas, the bread machine fix may have been short-lived. She tried to make bread with it today and it burned the loaf and then quit working. We're still holding out hope that it'll come back again.

aTxVegn said...

The stromboli looks yummy! I made some a few months ago and it was really fun. I also made your cinnamon rolls that you posted January 1. They turned out fabulous!

Cherie said...

I've never had stromboli, I don't think. You sure do make it look worth testing!!! :)

lisa said...

That stromboli looks fabulous. I haven't had any in a long time.

Jhenn said...

wow! wow wow wow! I'm drooling here. Now figuring out lunch is going to be even harder! -_-

lubo said...

here,learn to cook Chinese foods:
Yuanxiao
Egg Bubble Soup
Oil - Braised Prawns (Beijing Style)
Chengdu Stir-fry Shredded Carrot
Sweet and Sour Pork
Style Fried Fish